Twenty-One

I didn't care that it was blazing hot outside. I took deep breaths as the fresh air hit my lungs. Hot air, but it's still better than the sewers. Tony led me through the forbidden city and went towards a shed. He went behind one of the pillars and grabbed something. Before I knew what he was doing, he tossed the items to me. I caught them with ease and looked down to see some clothes.

"Get dressed. We have a long journey ahead of us," he said.

I shook my head at him. "Look, I appreciate the help. But I have no idea who you are, why the shuck you helped me, or where we are."

He sighed. "My name is Ton -"

"Tony, yeah, I get it. I also know you're a Crank. I have no idea who you are and apparently you know who I am."

Chuck chuckled. "Elle has a stalker."

I wanted to groan so bad. Chuck set me up. I was almost dead because of him back there.

Tony shook his head. "I don't know who you are." He turned around and crossed his arms. "And I suggest you change before I count to ten."

"Then why did you help?"

Tony just shrugged his shoulders. "One."

I scoffed. "You can't be serious."

"Two."

This time I groaned before I started changing my clothes. I don't understand why I have to change. That didn't stop me bombarding him with questions.

"Why did you help?"

"Three. I was told to."

I stopped and furrowed my eyebrows. "By who?"

"Four. I don't know. Five."

I could almost feel my eye twitch. How could he not know? I started pulling my pants up. At least Tony isn't those guys who look. "Ok. How did you get mixed up with Jonah and his pests?"

"Six. It was a few months back. I was just strolling through this here town. I don't know what was happening to me. Everything started spinning. I felt more angry. I just wanted to rip my hair out. Seven." He sighed. "I made a deal with someone you don't want to make a deal with. I was in a tough pickle and Jonah helped me out. I was part of his group ever since. Eight."

I slowly nodded my head as I processed this information. "Ok, where do I come in?"

"Nine. Because before I made the deal...I found something in my pocket."

Tony pulled something from his pocket. He spun around and handed me the picture. My eyes widen as my mouth dropped. It's...me. The picture is of me. It was of me in the Glade. A huge red circle around my face with the words printed on the bottom. Protect her.

I turned the photo to see more writing in the back. Subject A3: The Carrier. Danielle Ortesev.

I gave him a shocked look. "Protect me? Why would I need protecting if I'm -" I took a deep breath. "I'm becoming one of you."

"I'll try not to get offended by that, but I don't know. I found that in my pocket. I don't know if it's my writing or someone else's. I just know that I have to protect you and that's what I'm doing."

I nodded before handing him the photo. "Thank you."

Chuck decided to ruin the moment by placing his hands under his chin. "Awe. That's so sweet."

Tony put the photo back in his pocket. "No problem." He went towards the window and opened the curtains. "We got a few hours until the sun goes down. I suggest we get out of this place."