Nine

The Gladers parted ways for Thomas, Minho, Newt, and I. Yeah, it's not like we're about to walk in the blazing sun or anything. Minho went first. He held his hand over his face before he brought it back.

"That's definitely hot. Definitely hot," He said.

I groaned. "Out of all the places they force us to go. Why not a snowy place? At least we wouldn't be burning."

Minho sighed. "If we're gonna do this, then we better have something wrapped around us or else we'll get second-degree burns in five minutes."

"Let's empty out our packs," Newt suggested as he pulled his off. "Wear these sheets like buggin' robes as we check things out. We could use half the sheet as a pack for food and water and the other half for protection."

I nodded in agreement before I took my pack off. "Makes sense."

"We'll look like ghost - scare the bad guys out there," Thomas said.

I heard something drop and I looked down to see some apples falling down the steps. I looked up and raised my eyebrow at Minho. He just shrugged his shoulders as he dropped the rest of his stuff. He'll be lucky if he has enough food for the trip.

Minho rolled his eyes. "Funny, that boy Thomas. Let's just hope we don't have some nice Cranks to greet us." He began tying his sheets around him. "I don't see how anyone could hang around in this heat. Hopefully there'll be trees or some kind of shelter."

"A shelter with air conditioning," I added as I tied my sheets around me.

Newt started helping me tie the knot around my shoulder. "I don't know. Then they might be hiding, bloody waitin' to get us or something."

I just want to get out of this hallway. Who knows when those metal deathtraps might come back. Thomas was just as eager to get out. "We won't know till we investigate," He said. "Let's go." He pulled his sheet around him like an old woman with a shawl. "How do I look?"

"Like the ugliest shanky girl I've ever seen," Minho replied. "You better thank the gods above you were born a dude."

"Thanks."

I smiled and walked around Thomas. "I don't know. Maybe add some eyeliner, a little of mascara, a dash of concealer. He could be at least....40% decent." Minho let out a snort.

Thomas glared at me. "Thanks, Dan."

"Anytime, Tom Tom."

I pulled the sheet over my face. I feel like those thieves that have to cover their faces with hoods. Minho and Newt did the same as I made sure to double knot their sheets.

Aris raised his hand. "I call next."

Newt, Thomas, Minho, and I glared at him. "No!" Aris just shrugged his shoulders in a oh, well kind of way before going back to Frypan.

We're not even outside and I feel myself overheating in this thing. "You shanks ready?" Minho asked.

Newt nodded. "Kind of excited, actually." I chuckled as I nodded in agreement. Anywhere is better than here.

"Me too," Thomas said.

We looked back at the light that was on top of the staircase. When people say they see a light at the end of the tunnel, I wouldn't think they mean it. Now there's a light on the top of the staircase. Minho sighed before he ran the rest of the steps, the light engulfing him.

Newt slapped Thomas' back. "Go!" He yelled.

Thomas nodded before running after Minho. I grabbed Newt's hand. "Ready?" He gave me a small smile with a nod. Then we ran after them.