Twenty-Seven

It feels like hours have passed since the Berg took Thomas. We couldn't do anything but wait underneath the big aircraft carrier. At least it was blocking us from the scorching sun. I kept pacing around. I can't just sit down, not knowing what they're doing to Thomas. I didn't even think about going back to the hut the person in the Berg placed for us.

Frypan squinted his eyes before pointing towards the sky. "We got incoming!"

I stopped. There was this ring of blue metal that was lowering something to the ground. I placed my hands above my eyes to get a better look, only to have them widen when I saw an arm dangling from it.

"It's Thomas!" I yelled. "You guys, it's Thomas!"

Brenda immediately sprang up at Thomas' name. The Gladers and I - plus, Jorge, Tony, Brenda, and Aris - started putting our hands up to gently set Thomas down. He looked like he was barley waking up. The rope detached itself and whipped its way back to the Berg. The Berg turned around before it started to fly away. No one cared right now. We just surrounded Thomas as we all spoke.

"What was that all about?"

"Are you ok?"

"What'd they do to you?"

"Who was that?"

"Have fun in the Berg?"

"How's your shoulder?"

"Thomas, did you die?"

I glared at the Glader who said that. "Then he wouldn't be awake then, shuckface."

Thomas groaned before he tried getting up. But he was too weak from the shot, or whatever they did to him, and fell back.

He held his good arm up. "A little help here?" Minho grabbed his arm and hauled him up. Thomas began stretching before his eyes went wide. "What are you guys doing out here? Your skin's gonna get baked!"

Minho just pointed behind us at the hut. "We better get back under that thing. Weirdly enough, whoever was in that Berg, they send it down for us."

So we began making our way towards our temporary shelter. The Gladers kept asking Thomas questions, but he answered with an I'll explain everything once we get there. He better. The Berg comes to use and just snatches him. Right when he's injured. That can't be a coincidence. I looked back to see Brenda walking next to him. I could her fingers twitch, like if she wanted to grab his hand. Now I need to know what's going on between them.

We made it to the hut a few minutes later. Minho was the first one inside before we began piling in. We tried to find a place to sit, but I still couldn't. I was to anxious to get all the information from Thomas. Thomas, you have a lot of explaining to do.

I went behind Newt, who decided to take a seat near Thomas. I placed my chin on top of his head while I wrapped my arms around his shoulders. Minho pointed at Thomas before taking a seat next to Brenda.

"All right," he started. "Get all nice and comfy and start talking." Thomas nodded. He waited for every Glader to find a seat. Tony pushed the Glader, who was next to me and Newt, off his chair and took that spot. "Ok, tell us about your adventure with the aliens in their big spaceship."

"You sure about this?" Thomas asked uneasily. "How many days left to get over those mountains, to the safe haven?"

"Five," Tony piped up. Everyone gave him a confused look as to how he knew. He just shrugged his shoulders. "Danielle told me. We needed something to talk about while we hide from the sun."

Minho raised his eyebrow at me. "Really, Tiger?"

I gave him a look. "Well, excuse me for thinking I wasn't going to see you guys again." Newt sighed before he gently patted my arm.