Twenty-Eight

I sighed as I got ready to pack up and leave with the Gladers. Newt wanted to go chat with Thomas because he told me that it's been a while since they did. In his words, there wasn't really enough time to sit around and sip tea. What annoyed me the most was Tony's constant staring or glaring at any Glader who looks at me. I get it, you're my protector. But this is going overboard. The only time I laughed was when Aris was staring at me and Tony pretended to take a step forward to attack him. That made Aris jump back and hit the wall. That was priceless.

"Don't you think it's a little weird that this WICKED saved your friends life?" Tony asked as he helped me pack.

I shrugged my shoulders. "It's WICKED. Nothing they do shucking surprises me anymore. They could go klunk themselves for all I care." Punishing me for something I had no idea what I've done. Oh, please.

"And klunk is..."

"The sound you make when you use number two in the bathroom."

He furrowed his eyebrows. "You mean shit?"

I sighed. "Yes. Shit."

"Then why don't you guys just say that."

I groaned as I swung my bag over my shoulder. "Because klunk sounds better." I adjusted the scarf around my neck. "And did you have to give me this. I'm sweating like a pig." Newt started chuckling as he made his way over. "What's so funny?"

He pointed towards Thomas and Brenda. "Those two. Tommy's got a new girlfriend. I just threatened to tell Teresa."

I started to laugh. "Ok, that's a bit funny."

》》》》

We waited till the sun set before we started walking again. No one spoke. I don't know if that's good or bad. I stood close to Newt and Minho. Tony was behind us. Thomas and Brenda weren't that far away from us, but I was confused when she wasn't talking to Jorge. Weird. Even Tony talked to Jorge more than she did.

Newt grabbed my hand and pulled me back. "Come on." I furrowed my eyebrows as we walked towards Thomas.

"Hey Tom Tom," I greeted.

"Dan."

I motioned to his shoulder. "How's the...."

"Oh, good. Great, I guess. It's like it's not even there."

"Weird."

He nodded. "I know." We walked in silence for a while.

"Been thinkin'," Newt said after a while.

"About what?"

"WICKED. Ya know, they broke their own bloody rules with you."

"How's that?" I asked.

"They said there were no rules. Said we had so much time to get to the bloody safe haven and that was that. No rules. People dying left and right, then they come down in a buggin' monster flying thing and save your butt. Not to mention they made Danny hallucinate all those things as punishment." He shrugged his shoulders. "Doesn't make sense." The paused. I raised my eyebrow at him. He better rethink that sentence. "Not that I'm complaining - I'm glad you're alive and Danny's safe."

"Gee, thanks," Thomas and I said simultaneously.

I sighed. "But I do wonder about that. What did I do that was so bad for WICKED to make me hallucinate?"

"I don't know, but they must have a good reason," Newt said. I raised my eyebrow at him again. Thomas held back a laugh at the hole Newt keeps digging himself into. "Not that I'm saying they do. I was wondering because where did he," he motioned to Tony, "get the idea that there was a serum. And not it's not just that that's weird. There's those signs in the city."