In body and mind

I was starting my new life in my new apartment. It was my first time being out on my own and it was exciting....but also scary. I was excited to meet my new neighbors so that I could make some new friends around this new place, maybe even show me around. I was just a young woman and I wanted to explore.
As I was leaning my apartment for work on my first day, I saw a man walking down the hallway. He was an older man and seemed to stumble as he walked. I decided to walk over and help him since he didn't look like he was in the best shape.
"Hi, do you need help? Which room is yours?" I ask as I gently grabbed his arm.
He gave me a cold and empty stare, before he continued to walk. I sighed and decided to leave. Some people were just like that I guess.
I felt pretty lonely in that apartment. Not many people wanted to talk. I guess there weren't many people who enjoyed company around here. I often kept in contact with my friends and family, but I still felt lonely.
During the nights, I would hear scratching sounds and it would often be very cold. I figured it was rats, but as I listened closer, I realized the scratching was coming from the door.
I slowly got out of my bed and checked out the peep hole. I jumped back when I saw the man from earlier standing right there, scratching his nails against my door. His fingertips were bleeding, but he continued to scratch.
I didn't know what to say or do. I wanted to tell him to go away, but I had no idea who this man was. Who knows what he was capable of. I pushed one of my tables in front of the locked door just in case, and then went back to bed.
I was disturbed by what I saw on the door the next morning. The scratches were very visible and covered nearly the entire door, along with the blood that came from his finger nails.
I turned my head to see him walking alone down the hallway. I froze as he walked closer. His fingertips were still stained red and were numbed down. His fingernails weren't visible at all within the red mess.
"Sir, what do you think you're doing? I couldn't sleep at all last night from your scratching! And look at your fingertips! What on earth are you thinking?" I managed to spit out, but he wasn't fazed.
He continued walking towards me, so I swiftly opened the door and headed straight back into my apartment. I slammed the door behind me and locked the door.
I took a deep breath as I looked through the peep hole. I watched in silence as he walked past my apartment slowly. He shuffled his feet along, making his footsteps louder. As he walked past, I noticed something. Something that rocked me to the core, yet made me realize what was happening. On the back of his neck was a strange parasite that was firmly attached to him. I didn't know exactly what it was, but I knew that the man was no longer the man he use to be.