Till death do we part

They ran. They ran as fast as they could. Just moments ago they were in the safety of their own home, but now they were in the middle of the woods running as fast as they could. They even held hands as they ran. They had built a life together, but now both of their lives were in danger.
  They heard gunshots echo through the woods and knew that he was getting closer. Just because one ex boyfriend thought he was entitled to her.
  She felt so guilty as she ran with tears in her eyes, clutching his hand. Her ex had a gun, and for that reason her and her true love's lives were in danger. She may have felt guilty, but fear was the emotion that took over her the most.
  "We can't keep running like this, we should hide," he said as they began to grow out of breath. She nodded as they began to search for a good place to hide.
  There was a nearby log with grass surrounding it. The ground dipped down slightly, giving them a place to squeeze into. They both tried slowing down their breathing as they lowered their heads. They had no clue where the psycho was, but they knew that he couldn't be too far. All they could do was wait in the silence of the woods and hope that he wouldn't see them. The quietness only made them more nervous as they squeezed each other's hands.
  She felt secure and safe for only a moment before they heard nearby footsteps. They both held their breath as they remained as still as possible. From behind the trees, he came out clutching the gun in his hand. His eyes were red with rage as he slowly took each step, crunching the leaves underneath his feet.
  The couple stared, but could no longer run at this point. Their only choice was to remain in their hiding stop. One wrong move could mean the end for the both of them. Their muscles were tense as they remained still.
  The foot steps slowly walked past them. They could no longer see him, but they could still hear him. It was getting harder and harder for them to breath quietly, but they forced themselves. They clutched each other's hands even tighter once the heard the footsteps stop behind them. They closed their eyes and froze as they waited for him to walk away. They desperately wanted to hear his footsteps again so they would know that he was gone. The few seconds of silence felt like minutes.
The silence was finally broken with they sound of two gunshots echoing through the woods. The man stood their for a second looking down at them, but then turned around and made his way out of the forest.
For a moment, everything went dark for the couple before they saw a ray of light beaming down at them. Confused, they both rose to their feet. They were still in the woods, and it was silent. They looked over at each other where they saw that they clearly both had fatal gunshot wounds to the head. They didn't even feel the pain. All the heard was the ringing in their ears. The girl looked down at her hands and realized how pale they were.
"Wait...we're not..."
"Dead?" He finished for her.
"But...we were both shot in the head...I don't even feel it..." she added.
They both stood there in a moment of shock as they tried to get their thoughts together.
"Maybe...this is death?" He said as he looked up at her.
"But..." she went silent as she scrambled for answers. She then felt his hand grab a hold of hers. She looked up into his eyes as he smiled at her, a tear going down his eye.
"We said till death do we part...but we don't even have to part in death," he smiled.
Her eyes instantly widened as she wrapped her arms around him. They both began to cry as they held on to each other. No matter what her ex did, he could never tear them apart, not even in death.