Chapter 55: Holding Love

Shawn's P.O.V.
"Hi baby Walter." He lets out a soft, muffled cry. "Shhh. There there." I say, slowly rocking him in my arms. I sit down on the small couch in the hospital room. I rest my left arm on the arm rest, Walters head resting on my left arm. His crying drifted to nothing but a few mouth movements and a soft silence.

"He loves when you hold him." Cameron whispers next to me. He had sat on the couch, which is made for two people, right next to me. Cameron moves closer so we're both looking at our sleeping son.

"He's so cute." I say to Cameron.

"I know." I feel Cameron's hand rest on my right thigh. It wasn't placed there in a necessarily sexual way, but just a way to show that he's close. It actual feels really good.

"Can you believe we made this?" Cameron says to me. "He's all ours." I look away from the baby to a smiling Cameron. I notice quite a bit of stubble on his face. We haven't really been home that much, so both of our hygiene's are kind of lacking. He's smiling and notices I'm looking at him. He smiles and slowly leans closer, me leaning towards him, pecking a kiss on my lips. "He's all ours." he says again, sweetly, resting his forehead against mine. I look back at Walter and notice his eyes darting all over the place. I must have accidentally woke him up, leaning over towards Cameron.

"How are you little buddy?" I laugh at his adorable face. His mouth slowly moves up and down, opening and closing. I lean down and plant a small kiss on his forehead. "I love you sooooo much Walter." I say to him. I move my head to get a better view of him, looking him in his beautiful blue sparkling eyes. "Look how cute he is." I say aloud to Cameron. I move him over in my arms so that my forearms are pushed together, with his head resting in my hands and his body on my forearms.

"Hi there." Cameron says in a baby voice. "You are just the cutest little baby I have ever seen." he says cutely. Walter's arms are moving around and Cameron moves his hand over, softly holding onto Walter's. "Look how little your hands are. Just so darn cute." Cameron says sweetly. He looks up to me. "Can I hold him?" I move Walter over in my arms, sliding him over into Cameron's. "Woah there." Cameron says as Walter starts to cry, but stops when he hears Cameron's voice. Cameron moves Walter's head over to his right arm, and holds him like a baby as he quickly falls back asleep. I put my arm around Cameron's shoulders and my other hand rests on his thigh.

"We did it." I say smiling. I rest my head on his shoulder. "Look at us." I say. "This is our new family. You, me, and Walter." I smile again. Gina walks into the room and stands quietly in front of us.

"I want a picture." she says after a few seconds. I move to get up but she quickly bats her hands.

"No I mean I want a picture of you guys sitting there like that. Trust me, you'll want these pictures in 18 years when Walter's ready to move out." I smile at Gina. 18 years seems like such a long time from now. I hope time doesn't go bye as fast as it has been. Cameron and I both look up at Gina, smiling, as she snaps a picture of us on her phone. "Perfect." she says smiling. She just stands there staring at Walter. Cameron notices, smiles, and rolls his eyes.

"Would you like to hold him?" he asks.

"Oh well only because you offered." she says, bending over and taking Walter into her arms. I just love saying his name; Walter, Walter, Walter. She slowly rocks him back and forth in her arms.

"Is he hungry?" asks Sierra. She had woken up in the hospital bed.

"You can feed him in just a bit." Gina says smiling.

"So we're gonna find out who the paternal father is today?" Sierra asks.

"Well you guys are." Cameron says.

"I still don't understand why you don't just look at the test results Cameron." Sierra says.

"I've already explained this a million times." he says annoyed. He's looking at the baby as he says it.

"The doctor is going to come in with the results in a few minutes." I say to him, rubbing my hand over his knee. He moves his hand down on top of mine, and puts his fingers under my hand.

"I know." he says smiling, looking over at me. "You ready to find out?" he asks me. I look at him; I mean really look at him. I see the smile displayed on his face, but I also see the sadness hiding behind it. I think he feels betrayed that I'm going to look. I don't like making him feel this way. If he doesn't wanna know than neither do I. Now that I've actually held Walter, now that I've actually met him, I know that it really doesn't matter. I look over and see the doctor walk into the room with a clipboard.

"Are you guys ready for this?" he asks smiling. I look back at Cameron.

"I don't wanna know." I say, standing up. Cameron looks at me surprised; the sadness I saw before is gone.

"Cameron now that I've actually held Walter in my arms, I know that it doesn't matter which one of us is the paternal parent. If you don't wanna know than neither do I." He makes a sympathetic look at me.

"Are you sure about this Shawn?" he asks, standing up, facing me.

"Yes. I promise." I say smiling. He smiles in return.

"Well Shawn and I will be out in the hallway. Just knock when you're done going over the results." Cameron says. I notice the doctor again. He's opened the file and started reading the results. Gina hands baby Walter over to Cameron. Cameron looks down and smiles at him. "Let's go out in the hallway little buddy." he says.

"Actually, I think you guys are gonna wanna hear this." the doctor says. I look up at him again and notice his smile is gone and now is replaced with a confused look. He flips through the pages a little nervously.

"I don't think so." Cameron says awkwardly. I place my hand on Cameron's upper arm. Something doesn't seem ok.

"No you don't understand." the doctor says. "Something isn't right with Walter."