Chapter 2

POV: (Jared)

My sisters black hair slapped my face as she swung around in front of the door to face me.

"Aren't you going to knock," I asked as I eyed her carefully. Her green eyes flared with exasperation as she rubbed her hands on her black jeans.

I knew she was nervous because it had always been more difficult for her to fit in with the Coven than it was for me with her powers leaning more towards our Vampire father than our Mage mother.

"You know it makes my skin crawl anytime I have to confront the Coven members," she whispered as she tried to settle her nerves.

Before I could respond the door was opened by Essie, our very own Librarian. She didn't look like a Librarian though. Her auburn hair was parted down the middle in two braids that trailed behind her. The only sign of age was the slight creases near her bright blue eyes.

"What can I do for our infamous twins?"

Twins were a rarity in the Supernatural community and most often than not, regarded highly. It was unknown how much power twins could produce since we had capabilities that even Sloane and I didn't know fully. One was our ability to communicate with one another mentally as well as share our power.

I watched Sloane stumbled around for something to say as I gently sidestepped her and smiled at Essie.

"You're looking as lovely as ever, Essie. We just had some acquisitions that required the use of research among the Library. Would it be alright if we took a look around?"

"Of course. Of course," she hurriedly moved out of the doorway to allow our entrace. It was obvious that she had been flustered with my smile and I mentally shook my head at Sloane. There wasn't much I didn't do for her even if it was something I would rather not like to do.

We walked through winding halls that didn't fit into the picture of how the house looked from the outside. Use a little magic and you could practically open a separate world in your living room. Essie's cat Fluffy, a mix of some sort with so much fur that I wasn't all together sure it was actually navigating with it's eyes, followed at the side of his mistress. I'm surprised Essie didn't trip with how often Fluffy weaved in and out of her feet purring.

When we made it to the entrance to the Library I nudged Sloane towards it as I turned my attention to Essie.

"Essie, I've actually got a few inquiries you may be able to assist me with."

Essie had glanced at Sloane who'd walked into the Library but her attention was arrested on me. "Of course, Jared. Whatever can I help you with."

I gestured towards the alcove where I knew a kitchen was. I'd had my fair share of cups of tea with Essie, discussing spells and information about odd creatures I'd become interested in. Essie smiled and her lip slanted with it, her smile wasn't movie star quality but it was geniune enough to reach even her eyes.

She began rummaging around the kitchen and preparing tea as I occasionally checked my watch when she had her back to me. At the table a mug with a homemade concoction of herbs for relaxation, healing, and energy was waiting for the heated water. After another five minutes of waiting for the tea to brew I began talking to her. It was never good to lie so most of what I said would have to be believable.

"I'm sure you've heard about the wolf spirit currently sharing my body with me."

At her nod of affirmation I continued, "I'm actually trying to gather information and seeing as how you are our information keeper, I was wondering if you could impart anything you may have come across pertaining to my problem."