Chapter 10

POV: (Jared)

As Sloane and Cece pulled out of our driveway, my phone call to the Coven ended. Of course I didn't speak to Robert directly but his Secretary. Or 'disciple', whichever. Surprisingly Robert's disciple was almost the complete opposite of his Master. He'd have to be though to not clash personalities with one another. Many members of the Coven had an older member giving them guidance but I'd always preferred to not have those kinds of bonds to someone other than my twin.

Once I was assured that Robert would be on his way soon, I stared off into the living room from the kitchen. With our bond it was easy to sometimes pick up on things that Sloane did. Even though I couldn't see the ghosts standing around my house, the death energy cloaked everything.

It was eery to know that a bunch of dead people were standing around my house but I couldn't change that. Instead of doing nothing as I waited for Robert, I decided to look through some of the other books Sloane had given me yesterday.

Let's see. Transfiguration, Possession, Supernatural Diseases, Shape Changers... ahh, here it is. SkinWalkers.

There were only three pages written about SkinWalkers. It was rare for the Shaman to take on the characteristics of their animal. Most of the time you'd retain your human personality but slip into the skin of your animal.

Well what went wrong with mine? The more I think about it, it's probably because it was a damn werewolf's soul that got shoved into me. Plus it wasn't a mutual blending to begin with like Shaman's have with their spirit totem's.

On closer inspection there was smaller notes regarding specific types of animal totems described in the back of the book. Wolf was one of them. The pages flung dirt and dust into the air as I skimmed through them. When I finally got to the page I was looking for there was merely a paragraph.

"Wolf Totems are the most commonly used among Shaman's because of how easy it is to assimilate together as one. In rare cases a Shaman can pull upon the characteristics of their Spirit Totem without realizing it. If the Spirit Totem is stronger than the Shaman it can even take full possession of the other."

Oh great so I'm possibly going to get possessed by this spirit inside of me.

Almost in answer, the wolf rubbed against my insides. It was uncomfortable feeling nonexistent fur inside of my body rubbing against my skin.

"In severe cases a SkinWalker has been known to join a Werewolf pack. Most pack's will tear the SkinWalker apart after finding out because the Spirit Totem residing inside can strengthen their own wolf."

Since the book was so old I didn't put much thought into that last part. Cane didn't seem like the type who'd kill others for power. And the other wolves were too weak to kill me by themselves. Most of the other information I found about SkinWalkers was just repeating what this book said. None though had talked about Mate's which surprised me. Then again all of these SkinWalkers were Shaman's who assimilated with their Spirit Animal Totems. Where as I had a Werewolve's wolf soul locked inside of me. I didn't know how it differed but I was going to guess that I would take on more Werewolf traits.

Robert knocked on the front door which pulled me from my thoughts. How did I know it was him? Well easy. His knock sounded formal and business-like. Not to mention he could've used the door bell but had always refused to.

What greeted me on the otherside of the door was a man who looked to be in his late twenties which made no sense. Robert was older than my Aunt Beatrix. The fact that he looked young had been the butt of all jokes between Sloane and I growing up. It was an ongoing debate on whether he had used dark magic to keep himself looking young, paid massive amounts of black market products to a fae for a powerful illusion, or many other things. A list was actually posted on a cork board in Sloane's work office.