Chapter 16

After the after-sex bliss wore off, I jerked my hands out of his before bucking him off of me. I'd caught him unaware because his hold on me broke as he stumbled back a few steps. It's all I needed to roll off the desk and keep it in between us. My glare probably said it all. Chest heaving as I attempted to control the rage boiling inside of me. Blood coated my entire upper body from the multiple bite marks he had left on me.

With that thought, I realized he also had a few bite marks which made me turn away in frustration.

"Do you have any spare clothes here? I'm sure you do but I can't seem to find where you've hidden them."

The air seemed to freeze around us and the fact that he didn't need to breathe was made evident. Sweat began to cool against my skin as I waited for any kind of response. After what felt like an eternity, he reached his hand into the desk drawer and pulled out clothes that were exactly my size. Slutty, but my size none the less.

I didn't want to know. So I took them from his hand and pulled the latex boy shorts and cut off shirt sans bra or underwear. My breasts nearly popped out the bottom of this prepubescent cloth.

Wrapping my arms around my stomach, I leaned my butt against the couch's arm and looked at him. He regarded me underneath hooded eyes; his lashes fanning across his bronzed cheek.

Dimitri was just plain gorgeous, irregardless. Let's just pretend that we hadn't dirtied the entire office. Or the fact that there was still a dead woman laying on the other side of his desk. Oh yes. The big elephant.. or cat in the room, to be exact.

"Are you going to explain to me why you lost control?"

"I don't recall."

How concise. "That doesn't really explain anything, Dimitri."

"What would you like me to do for you, Sloane? I simply have no recollection on how I ended up in the throes of berserking." He seemed to stop and think for a few minutes. As time slipped by his face gradually began to darken and his eyes flashing hints of red

"Hey hey now! Don't shift into berserk mode again. I don't think I can afford to deal with you in that state again. Feels like I got ran over by a truck."

At the mention of us screwing, the red in his eyes vanished to be replaced with a bit of pride. He gave me a smirk of satisfaction as if to say 'Of course. My dick is huge.'. I probably was misinterpreting that since I could never imagine those words coming out of Dimitri's mouth but I found it absolutely hilarious even though I wanted to punch him in the face.

"Did you figure out what's wrong?"

At the shift back to the main topic his smirk vanished.

"Yes. A large number of my flock have been killed."

My face grew serious at that. "By large number do you mean a handful?"

He gave me that look as if he were staring at an idiot. "By large number, I meant that over 50 of my members suddenly cut connections to me. Which could only mean they were killed."

"Are you sure it means they're dead," I could hear the nervousness in my voice. Which was never a good sign. It wasn't that I was scared of whatever was out there kidnapping and killing supernatural creatures. No. I was nervous because I was afraid that I wouldn't get this thing before it might attack people I actually cared about. Seems rude but I'd rather worry over my family and friends than strangers. If I could prevent it, sure but since this thing was like the invisible man on my radar it was difficult to stop it killing people currently.

"Yes. Some of the Vampires were ones who still hold Contract."

Dimitri meant that some of the Vampires which had died were still under something called 'Contract'. Contract was something that every turned Vampire went through the first half a century of their undead life. When a Vampire turns another, the turned Vampire's soul is recieved by Crnobog and kept for over a half a century. It's because of this that many people would probably refuse to be turned into a Vampire.