Chapter 3 ~ The Bridge

what was I seeing right now? I was in a complete state of confusion, were my surroundings deceiving me? I began to walk backwards as if to secure myself only to be pulled abruptly to the side. A tall brute man continued walking past leaving me to deal with the problematic situation I was now in. Needing to sit down and absorb the madness I was witnessing before my own eyes I managed to follow the path down the same old street however now lined with rustic old houses. Finding a small wooden bench I took a seat and took in my surroundings.

I must have lost time staring into the distance before I realised I was making eye contact with a women seated in her car

I must have lost time staring into the distance before I realised I was making eye contact with a women seated in her car. In a panic I quickly averted my eyes and looked at the ground racking my brain for how long I must have been staring at the lady for. Hesitantly I looked back up only to find that she had a stern look on her face and was still looking my way, with a motion of her hand she signed for me to come over. I followed my instincts and rose from my seat before straitening myself up and making my way over to the vintage motor car.

As I got closer to the car I took  in the women familiar appearance, short cropped mousy brown hair, golden brown eyes and weathered facial features. The women looked out her window as I approached and she took in my appearance "your not from here are you?". I shook my head unbeknownst to the next comment she would make "get in dear, you clearly need somewhere to stay". A wave of relief washed over me and all i could managed to say was "thank you" before moving to the passenger seat. 

"so I also gather your not from this time?" I snapped my head towards the women with wide eyes

"so I also gather your not from this time?" I snapped my head towards the women with wide eyes. "what year is it?" I was afraid for the answer but held myself together as I awaited for my answer "its 1919 dear, your clearly from the future. My names Polly Shelby, your lucky I found you and not the boys" she chuckled at the end. I couldn't help but giggle at the last part too "Your right, I wouldn't know what to do... How do you know im from the future other than my clothes?"  "we have heard legends and rumours". 

The car continued driving down the busy street and soon drifted onto another road that lead to a large tavern on the corner of one of the narrow streets. Polly parked out the back and lead me into the building through the back door. As we entered she helped adjust my large trench coat before walking in further. "your going to need to wear this if you don't want to be whistled at" I nodded and brought it closer over my shoulders before following her cautiously into the building. We passed a room of men all drinking and having a good laugh before they all cheered at the sight of Polly.

"Poll your back!" I averted my eyes from the masses of men in the room, I could tell they were staring at me, whispering under their breath. "yes im back, John now if you'll excuse us" a confused look covered his face before Polly moved to uncover me from my hiding position behind her. I slowly lifted my glance to meet Johns eyes and I almost thought he became flustered for a moment. "who's this? she's gorgeous" he said in a hushed tone "she's from the future, Im doing something good for once in my life and help her so please move.

John eagerly moved aside and placed a reassuring arm around my shoulder before escorting me into the back room with Polly. I was seated into comfortable leather chair in the far right corner of the room, John seated in the chair beside me. "How'd ya get here?" I could tell he was examining my features as I began explaining myself "I don't exactly know, I was just walking down the street and passed under the bridge and then everything just shifted". John just nodded and took my hand in his before giving it a squeeze "well im glad Aunt Poll found ya and not someone else". I smiled back as he stood up and took his place at the table.

I maintained quite for the duration of the time I was in my seat only speaking if I was spoken too, I hadn't forgotten just yet who these people were. The stories my grandmother told me sprung to mind and I shrunk back into my seat realising what I've just gotten myself into. The creak of the wooden door brought me back to reality as a tall gentlemen entered the room. His skin was fair in comparison to his charcoal like hair, however his eyes were such a serene blue. You could drown in eyes like that. His suit was tailor made and fit like a glove and gave him a demanding presence.

I remained unnoticed as he entered the room and stood at the front of the table now seating all members of the Shelby family in which I had met earlier

I remained unnoticed as he entered the room and stood at the front of the table now seating all members of the Shelby family in which I had met earlier. The family spoke of business for at least twenty minutes before John looked back at me and gave a small smile and a cheeky wink. The man I hadn't been introduced yet looked over at john who now held a smirk on his face as I tried not to giggle at how un-sly he was being. "Is there a problem John?" his voice was deep and rich and definitely made most girls melt. "No I was just saying hello to Annabelle" the smile on his face never left. "who?" The man looked at John like he was an idiot. 

"She's sitting on the coach, she's been there the entire meeting. Poll brought her here, she's not from this time" For the first time the man's eyes shifted and landed on me, a look of awe covered his face and all he said was "everyone out, meetings finished". With that everyone got up and left the room so that it was only me and the mystery man. His steps were light as he made his way over to me and sat beside me on the coach. "whats your name?" he questioned "Annabelle Winters" I replied unable to look away from his eyes. With a nod he extended out a hand "Im Thomas Shelby, head of the family". I nodded "Nice to meet you Tommy" his breath shifted a little before he stood nodding his head and left the room.

 I nodded "Nice to meet you Tommy" his breath shifted a little before he stood nodding his head and left the room

Alone again...