Chapter 60 ~ Last Attempt

Thomas's P.o.v.

The Last night

By the time I had gotten home later that day Annabelle had already made herself comfortable in bed and had drifted to sleep. We had spend the rest of today in each others company not doing much but savouring the last moments we would have together in a long time. She explained to me what this war would be like and how catastrophic it was going to be to the both the nation and the world. She was terrified to let  me leave to go fight in something so dangerous. Annabelle could handle me fighting in a gang here not that I'd want her to be okay with something like that.

I had just answered the front door where Arthur had quickly come over here to tell me what time we would be picked up tomorrow morning and taken away when I heard shuffling coming from the floor above. Someone was out of bed and walking around, walking to my office.I stopped and listened after staring at the door close watching my brother exit the house. I thought for a moment maybe it was just mice or a creak in the floor but then the door opened. 

There was only one person who would dare go into my private studies without asking. I looked at the floor once more and then back at the ceiling rolling my eyes. "What the bloody hell is she doing up there?" I mumbled to myself trying to track the footsteps as they walked back to the bedroom at the other end of the house, briefly stopping directly above me before traveling in the same direction. An uneasy feeling rippled through my stomach and I waited for Annabelle to come waltzing down the staircase with whatever she had taken from my study.

 An uneasy feeling rippled through my stomach and I waited for Annabelle to come waltzing down the staircase with whatever she had taken from my study

Once I heard the footsteps stop and another door open and close I knew I had to go up there and really find out what she had done. I began walking down the steps to one part of the landing only to go up the other staircase and try and ambush her on the other side if she tried to come back down the stairs again. She was up to something and I don't believe it is going to be anything good either. I quickly ran up the flight of stairs and walked to the now closed bedroom door.

"Annabelle are you in there?" I spoke calmly trying to assess what she was doing

"Annabelle are you in there?" I spoke calmly trying to assess what she was doing. I tried to open the door only to be blocked by her putting her weight against the door. She was sitting, back slumped against the door, feet sprawled out and the smell of whisky was ever present. "You can't go Tommy" she sniffled. "Annabelle can you please move so I can come in?" I tried to persuade her to move. I could hear the swish of the whisky move in the bottle as she took a swig and moved and sit herself against the bed.

When I entered the room however I was not prepared for what I was faced with. "Annabelle what are you doing with that?" I asked my began heart racing franticly, pounding in my chest. "I just don't want you to go" she began crying a little harder as the whiskey made its way into her bloodstream slowly intoxicating her. "Im not going anywhere just yet though so hand it to me please" she handed the bottle of whisky to me and I cautiously took it and placed it on the night stand.  I turned around and I could have sworn my heart stopped.

Hairs rose on the back of my neck and a shock like electricity rushed through me. There she sat hair tangled in soft curls, eyes starting to bloodshot from the alcohol and the quivering lip. She held the weapon under her chin and tilted her head upwards facing the ceiling. "Annabelle give it to me" she shook her head and I walked towards her panic making the adrenaline run through my veins faster every second she refused to hand it to me. I looked at her deeply in the eyes and held out my hand in panic mode "Give me the fucking gun".  

She stared at me for a moment before removing it from her chin and skilfully taking the bullets out

She stared at me for a moment before removing it from her chin and skilfully taking the bullets out. She handed the gun to me with a shove and I quickly threw it out of the room and scooped her up in my arms as she began to break down on the floor. My chest vibrated as she sobbed trying the accept that there was nothing she could do to stop me from leaving tomorrow morning at 6Am. "Everything is going to be okay" I tried comforting her knowing that I wasn't so sure my statement was correct either. 

"What am I going to do when your gone?" I rested my head gently upon hers and held her close "I don't know" I said honestly. "You can write to me" I looked down at her "You can tell me about all the strange things that are happening here in Birmingham and how our son or daughter is doing". She nodded and wiped her eyes "Im going to miss you like you can't imagine" my eyes fell low as I watched the tear she wiped from her face roll effortlessly down her arm.

"Your wrong" I stood lifting her up and placing her on the bed "I also love you too much to let anything happen to you". Her head lightly hit the pillow as I laid her out and made sure she was comfortable before I took my regular spot beside her. "What do you mean?" she glanced at me knowing there was more to my sentence than just pretty words. "Ive organised for the Peaky Blinders and Mr Solomons men to look after you until I come back". "Im talking about the boys that weren't allowed to go to war that is". A small smile lifted the corner of her lips and the roll of her eyes said it all "If they're my protection I think im the one who's going to be protecting them" I chuckled. 

"At least there will be someone there for you".

----------------------------------------------------------

Authors Note:

Hey everyone! GUESS WHAT WE HIT 20K!

Thank you all so  much for your support it means the world, really!

I also have some ideas id like to share and get your opinion on. Im thinking of creating a new book that has One Shots and Imagines in it. If you guys comment saying you want a second one then ill put it in there. Let me know in the comments and also don't actually be afraid to comment! I love reading them and replying to them! 

Thank you.