Chapter 72: Facing the Firestorm

Thomas's P.o.v.

I watched as she was driven away, with a deep jaggeder breath I looked up and headed back to the house to do as I promised. I felt my stomach churn with every step I took refusing to get in a car purely for the fact I knew I would try and follow her if I did so. That was three days ago. I had heard nothing, seen no one and refused to leave Charlie with anyone other than Polly or Ada. Both were in on her plan and could only watch as my stress and anger built in fear Annabelle wasn't returning.

"Thomas you need to eat something or your going to pass out!" Polly shouted at me as I sat slumped in a chair by the window. "I don't want anything" I replied back uninterested in the meal Poll was offering. A firm grip on my shoulder forced me to drag my eyes away from the outside and look up at Polly's worried expression. "Thomas you can't worry about things like this, its out of our control". The lump in my throat burned as I drank the last drop of whiskey from my glass "Please just leave me alone".

Pulling out another bottle of the liquid poison I took a swig from the bottle and sunk back in my chair trying the wrestle the emotions fighting trying to break through the surface of my skin. As the day turned to night I drank myself to sleep for the third night in a row and refused to move from my seat in the upstairs living room. A few hours passed and I had awoken from my sleep in a haze to what looked like a candle lit figure walking towards the house. It was probably just the alcohol making me hallucinate.

Your P

Your P.o.v.

Silently I walked down the gravel pathway illuminating my surroundings with a lantern, we had succeeded in what we had set out to do and everyone was able to finally return to their loved ones, including myself. I walked around to the back of the house ensuring I wasn't disturbing anyone and walked gently to the kitchen where I pulled up a chair and slept for the rest of the night. The quietness was very comforting after all the chaos of the past few days and I was looking forward to seeing everyone.

The clicking of the of someones heels on the wood floors made my eyes squint open adjusting to the lighting. "Oh my word!" Polly shouted as she rushed towards me forcing me to sit up and rub my eyes awake. "Hey-" I spoke in a hushed voice "sorry I took so long" I smiled "Annabelle you need to go see Thomas and Charlie. Thomas especially". As polly began telling me about Thomas's condition over the pas three days the smile that had risin on my face upon seeing her fell. "Where is he now?" I asked concerned standing form my seat.

I quickly walked up the staircase gripping the banister tightly, afraid of what I was going to find when I found Tommy

I quickly walked up the staircase gripping the banister tightly, afraid of what I was going to find when I found Tommy. I made my way to the room and leaned on the doorway entry peering inside trying to locate him. "Thomas?" I asked as I entered the room, at the sight of Thomas's messed up hair and slumped body in his armchair by the window I ran towards him trying to gently wake him up and not startle him. "Annabelle?" He asked after I shook him lightly "Annabelle!" He fell out of his chair and into my arms grabbing me and pulling me closer towards himself.

"Don't you dare leave me again!" he shouted with tears welling up in his eyes, he was distraught and had suffered more than I anticipated. I looked to his side and saw a row of empty glass bottles and an over flowing ashtray on the counter top. Gently I caressed his cheek before he finally began to settle down. "I promise I won't" I felt his emotions flow through to me and my lip quivered at the realisation of how badly he must have been fighting his instincts to come and find me.

The day passed quickly after spending the remaining hours with Charlie and Thomas. Charlie's smile lit up the room when he saw the pair of us walk in to spend time with him making my heart felt warm with joy. "You leave tomorrow?" I asked Thomas as the thought entered my mind. He was only given a week to come back just as all the other times. He nodded and continued to watch as I rocked our son to sleep. "I'll be home soon" was all he said but I could tell by the look in his eyes that he longed for the day where he could just stay here with his family.

 "I'll be home soon" was all he said but I could tell by the look in his eyes that he longed for the day where he could just stay here with his family

I stood from my kneeling position and walked towards him and took his hand leading him out to our own bedroom. "Are you tired?" He asked quizzically, I shook my head no in response and pat the empty spot on the bed. Thomas chuckled and a small smiled formed making him glow in the lowly lit room "Are you sure?" he asked biting his lip unsure weather he should pursue. "I cant let you go back to the soldiers without you being able to boast that you got some whilst you were home now can I?" I laughed.

"That is true-" he began as he gently pushed me back upon the bed and began to take his shirt off. Luckily for us Thomas had closed the door behind us as we walked inside not that he would of cared if someone saw the pair of us. I watched as he peered down at me taking in my now barely covered body and began tugging off the remains of both mine and his clothing. The rest of the night was filled with pleasure and reminiscing on all the good things we would miss as time would pass. 

Now we wait for the firestorm to end