Chapter 18 ~ Timing is everything

Your P.o.v.

I felt my head spin with confusion as the cold air from the closing door hit my face, "what just happened?" I turned to face everyone. Thomas wrapped an arm around me as I ran through my mind trying to analyse the situation that had just unfolded. I was ushered towards the dining table and sat down across from Thomas, everyone else down the sides. Thomas lit a smoke and I watched as the grey swirls lifted towards the roof, "So am I supposed to be worried?" I questioned still unsure of everything that was going on.

"You'll be fine, love. We ain't gonna let anything happen to you" Arthur spoke. Everyone dug into their food and the night was highly enjoyable, surprisingly. However every now and then I would glance down the centre of the table and be faced with a stare that seemed to go straight through me, into my soul. I stood up from the table whilst everyone got stuck into their conversations, I made my way behind Thomas and bent down to whisper in his ear. "What are you staring at?" Tommy snapped out of his daze and turned his head to face me.

Something isn't right, "Tommy speak to me, what is it?" He shook his head and stood up from the table, taking my hand and leading out of the room and up the staircase

Something isn't right, "Tommy speak to me, what is it?" He shook his head and stood up from the table, taking my hand and leading out of the room and up the staircase. Closing the door behind the two of us I sat on edge of his bed and waited for him to speak, "I need to know that your not going to leave because of, Grace". I slumped my shoulders and let a sigh escape my mouth "Why would I do that?" I questioned his trust in me. "Because I don't trust her... I think she might try and kill you". 

I was taken aback, her impression was cold and distant so I could fully understand the need for more safety precautions. "I promise I won't do anything, I wont leave the house unless I tell you or get someone to come with me" a simple nod from his head reignited his belief in my words. "You can go to bed if your tired, its pretty late" he mentioned before opening the door and exiting, rejoining the others in the dining room. I took his advice and decided to sleep off all of the drama that has happened tonight.

Thomas's P.o.v.

I heard Annabelle's footsteps trail to her bedroom as I got to the bottom of the staircase, I took the same seat I was in before at the head of the table and looked around the room at all the familiar faces. "How's she doing?" Arthur asked lighting a cigar with a bottle of whiskey in front of him, "She'll be fine, she's a tough one"  I replied as I scanned the room. "How would you feel about Annabelle joining the family?" the room went silent and I felt the intenseness of everyones gaze turning towards me.

 "How would you feel about Annabelle joining the family?" the room went silent and I felt the intenseness of everyones gaze turning towards me

"she already is, isn't she?" Ada asked wondering what I was talking about "No I don't mean like that..." I stared at the natural pattern on the wood table we were seated at. "Tommy, look at me" Polly demanded in a hushed tone, I did as she said and looked her dead in the eyes as I listened to the words that flowed out of her mouth "Are you talking about Marriage?". I shrugged my shoulders which for everyone in the was a clear indication that that was exactly what I was talking about. Polly stood from the table and walked to me throwing her arms around me.

"My boy Tommy is looking at getting married!" Polly squealed. A smile crept onto my face and I looked towards the others for their input "Well, what do the rest of you think?" I waited for their responses. "Well I already count her as part of the family so I have no opposition to it" Michael spoke up, leaving the rest of them to answer. "I think we would all agree with Michael that we would be honoured to have Annabelle join the family" Ada spoke up for everyone else with a kind smile.

I turned to face John who had an unamused look on his face, I could tell that he wasn't happy. There was silence coming from John's mouth, His stare never drifted from mine and the intensity was building.  "John?" I challenged him "Yes, Tommy?" he replied "You seem to have a problem with this?". He shook his head slowly trying not to make a scene "Why would there be something wrong?" he replied "Im happy for you" he said flatly, "Just making sure" I huffed before standing and leaving the room, John's stare following as I exited the room.

 He shook his head slowly trying not to make a scene "Why would there be something wrong?" he replied "Im happy for you" he said flatly, "Just making sure" I huffed before standing and leaving the room, John's stare following as I exited the room

...

Morning arrived and I sat in the chair of my office as the light filtered in through the window, I took a breath from my cigar and thought about the talk the family and I had last night over dinner. "Tom?" Arthur entered the room closing the door behind himself, He moved quietly and stood in front of me with a smile on his face "When are you thinking of popping the question?" he crossed his arms. I looked at the floor and took another breath "soon" I looked back up, "You better get on with it then" he chuckled.

"Timing is everything, Arthur. You can't rush things like this" I retorted looking back at him and thought about the day itself. "Why wait?" he questioned unsure of the reason why I would want halt on something so significant and important. "I have to make sure she wants to just as much as I do, I wont force or pressure her into this" I took one last breath from the cigar and put it out in the glass ash tray that laid upon the table. I stood from my position and watched as Arthur exited the room with a  smirk, Myself following.

I walked down the corridor my feet making a light patter as I walk down the wooden floor panels

I walked down the corridor my feet making a light patter as I walk down the wooden floor panels. My footsteps came to a halt at the presence of the dark wooden door, I felt my heart drop as I knocked on the door and heard no responce. I opened the door without asking and walked inside the room, the room was made up as if no one was here making my stomach drop. I rushed outside the room and called out to the members of the house "She's gone!" Polly and Arthur came up to my side and tried to calm me down.

"what's going on?" I demanded "Thomas, calm down..." Polly grabbed my arms, her grip tight around me. "Where is she?" I demanded once more afraid for her safety, "John took her to Johnny Dogs" Arthur sighed running a hand through his hair. My blood began to boil as I let the words sink into my mind letting images run wild within me. "What!?" I yelled turning around ripping myself from their grip. "What purpose does John have taking her there?" I turned around eyeing the two of them. "John said he was taking her home..." Polly answered quietly knowing exactly how she got here...