Chapter 65 ~ Letters

Your P.o.v.

Another three days had passed and polly was once more back in my room with a letter in her hand. "Another one?" I asked surprised at the rate these letters were being delivered "Yes the boys are only two towns away, they should be here in less than three days" she smiled slightly. She placed her hat and scarf on adjusting them before continuing to speak. "Im going to go meet them in the next town over. You'll be here with Ada" she quickly moved towards the door and waved before exiting and going on her journey to meet the boys.

Ada and I agreed that whilst Polly was out we should go and do the shopping for the week so that we don't run out of supplies in case another attack happens

Ada and I agreed that whilst Polly was out we should go and do the shopping for the week so that we don't run out of supplies in case another attack happens. For now though things seemed as safe as they could be in the middle of a war. Walking side by side we chatted about the business and placed bets on who would win and who would be taken over first. It was quite sad really and myself knowing who would win I knew i had an upper hand which I also knew was quite wrong. 

But we needed the business to stay strong so if we need the money when the war is over we would have something to fall back on. We arrived at a small corner store that was still in tact and fully functional. "Could you go get the sanitary and medical supplies whilst I start on the groceries?" Ada asked and I smiled "Sure". With that I began walking down towards the end of the street towards the other small store that was still standing. I walked into the store and began browsing the rows until I found what I was looking for.

Surprisingly as I was walking I came to a halt at the sound of Thomas's name being used in a conversation. I stepped a little closer and listened in wondering what the two people had to say about him. I was expecting to hear news about how he had been a gangsta before the war had broken out and how fear he was but I was pleasantly surprised. "Thomas Shelby, I believe he's coming home for a short while to see his fiancé and meet his child" an older gentlemen spoke. "Yes, Its nice to see he isn't abusing his title for other means. 

I hope nothing happens to him, he's a good lad" the other spoke making me smile a little. I silently pulled away from the shelf I was hiding behind and walked towards the counter and paying for the few items I had needed to purchase. "Have a good day now Miss" the boy behind the counter called as I exited the shop. I met back up with Ada in the grocery store trying to find something that would be long lasting and taste at least decent. However most foods would be canned due to farmers not working due to the bombings and crops being destroyed.

As we walked home after doing our chores for the house we were staying in I reflected back on some of the letters Tom and I had written

As we walked home after doing our chores for the house we were staying in I reflected back on some of the letters Tom and I had written. In one he described the way the bombs would erupt and shake the ground sending men flying as they hit. In another he spoke about the way he could still picture the family and how he had memorised all the small details on my face before leaving in fear he would forget or never come home.

There was one letter he sent that sends chills down my spine everytime I read it. It reads about how he and the boys were stranded on the beach and all they could do was put their faced to the ground and hope that the bomb wouldn't hit them. He wrote that in that moment he wished He and I were not together purely because he didn't want me to go through the heartbreak of loosing him if something ever was to happen to him. I think it broke me more that he would think I would prefer not to be with him than love and cherish him even in death.

 I think it broke me more that he would think I would prefer not to be with him than love and cherish him even in death

Pollys P.o.v.

I caught a lift to the next town over which was about nine hours away in chance that Thomas and the boys would be there ready to come home and see everyone. However what I saw I was not used to even though I should. Cuts and bruises all over them as they smoked down by the small stream near the shops. "Look at you lot!" I crossed my arms and walked down to them John and Arthur leaping at the chance to hug me and say hello to a friendly familiar face. 

Thomas stood staring slightly out of it continuing to smoke his cigarette. He wore his signature peaky hat and managed to find a half decent suit to wear whilst traveling. It was best to blend in with civilians when travelling off duty. "How is she?" he asked finally looking up at me "She's doing find and I think within a few days your going to have a beautiful child" he nodded ashing out his smoke. "However you all need some new clothes and a decent fucking hair cut before you go and see the girls, especially you Tommy" I joked half seriously.

With that said the four of us made our way up to the barber and the tailor to get the men cleaned up. "Its going to be a tiring journey" I warned "Poll we've been traveling for days I think we can handle a few more" John smiled. Arthur pulled Tom close slinging his arm over his shoulder "Are you ready to see her?" he asked Tom a little louder than a whisper. "I just want to see her again" he shook his head looking at the ground as we walked "Just looking at her would be enough" Arthur smiled "Im sure you'll get to do more than just look".

 "I just want to see her again" he shook his head looking at the ground as we walked "Just looking at her would be enough" Arthur smiled "Im sure you'll get to do more than just look"