Chapter 70 ~ Exaplain

Your P.o.v.

After spending the entire afternoon with Thomas we went home and saw Charlie as a family for the second time ever. Everything felt as if it was falling back into place and there was nothing that could tear us apart now. I was holding Tommy's hand giggling as he tugged me towards our room when a knock on the door downstairs interrupted us. "Leave it" he tried coax me into just letting whoever it was leave but I knew I couldn't do that now with the business I was in. I gently let go of his hand and walked down Thomas slowly following after. 

As I opened the door Thomas wrapped his arms around me from behind and stayed hidden behind the door. "Jake? Whats wrong?" I asked noticing his worried face. "We need you down at the shop" I sighed and turned to look at Thomas "Jake I can't leave tonight" I shook my head. "But we need you down there, Ada and poll have already made their way down there". I sighed and turned to Thomas causing Jake to peer around the door to see who I was talking to "I have to go" Thomas looked at Jake and then placed a kiss on my lips "Im coming too then".

It took a total of forty minutes to reach the shops location, it was a small bar we had been using for both selling illegal alcohol, smokes, food, placing bets and also now I had opened up a hit list in exchange for money

It took a total of forty minutes to reach the shops location, it was a small bar we had been using for both selling illegal alcohol, smokes, food, placing bets and also now I had opened up a hit list in exchange for money. I walked inside Thomas holding my hand not wanting to let go and I took my usual seat at the bar facing my men who were all seated and ready to present me with some sort of bad news. Thomas let go of my hand when he realised what was going on and what was happening and went and took a seat by himself near Ada and Aunt Poll. 

"Mr Solomons is refusing to hold our stock and the hit list has hit maximum capacity" Jake spoke up as my leading man. "Why is he refusing?" I asked confused, we had followed his orders and requirements faultlessly and always paid off everything we owed him straight away. "He said he doesn't want money anymore..." I covered my mouth knowing exactly what he wanted and there was no way I was giving it to him. 

I asked everyone to leave and I noticed Thomas walk over to the bar and pull out a cigarette and puff a few hits of smoke out before pouring himself some whiskey

I asked everyone to leave and I noticed Thomas walk over to the bar and pull out a cigarette and puff a few hits of smoke out before pouring himself some whiskey. "We'll see you back at the house" Ada commented before leaving and heading back home. "Tom?" I asked walking closer to him taking in his body language. I knew he would be upset but now I was just worried about him getting angry "Yeah?" he asked calmly. "Im sorry about the business..."  he shook his head and looked at the floor not able to make eye contact. 

"Its fine" he said but I knew he was lying "I just want you to know I didn't want to become like this, I did it to protect our family". He took another puff of his smoke before placing it in an ash tray and turning to face me "Annabelle I understand, I would have had to of done the same thing. Maybe even worse". He walked towards me and kissed my hand before we both took a seat on the armchairs in the corner of the room. "Can you at least explain why all of this has happened" I nodded and searched for the right words.

 "Can you at least explain why all of this has happened" I nodded and searched for the right words

"The last visit you made I told you about the threats and they just didn't go away... So I took it upon myself to sort things out once and for all" I began. "Charlie is under strict supervision by one of my most trusted staff and I have a skilled team that I work with for the more intense jobs, leaving Polly and Ada to stay safe and continue with bets" Tommy stared into the bottom of his glass as he thought about what it was I was saying. 

"I understand your weary about the choices i've made but at the time I did what I had to in order to keep everyone safe" he nodded in compliance and held my hand in his. "Just promise me your not going to do something which could put yourself in danger. You know I can't live a proper happy life without you in it, as well as raising Charlie on my own" I chocked a little and looked at the table for a moment before meeting his gaze "I know".

 You know I can't live a proper happy life without you in it, as well as raising Charlie on my own" I chocked a little and looked at the table for a moment before meeting his gaze "I know"

"I might be away fighting someone else's battle but you can still rely on me, you know that right?" He asked me. I nodded my head finding truth in what he was saying. Standing from his seat he took me by the hand and we began walking back home. My eyes began to flutter as the tiredness of all my efforts finally started to take effect. "You okay?" Thomas looked down at me and wrapped his arm tighter around my waist. "Im fine, just starting to get a little tired" "Im not surprised, I usually run on whiskey and cigarettes to run the business". 

Only now as Thomas tucked me under his arm supporting me on our short walk home did I realise just how much effort he put in to keep us all safe. At times I would often think his judgements and decisions were radical and unjustified but now I can see myself becoming more like and realising why Thomas did these things. "When do you leave?" I asked hoping he would say he wasn't even though the probability of those words leaving his mouth were near impossible. "The day after tomorrow" He spoke lowly clearly unhappy that he had no control over when he came and went. "Let's just make these days count then" I smiled resting my head on his shoulder as we walked.