Chapter 12 ~ Denial

Thomas's P.o.v.

The boys and I stayed in the Garrison that night, me being the target of a new line of jokes every few minutes. Although im not overly fond of being made the centre of a joke tonight I let it slide. "I think that our Tommy has himself a lover" Arthur raised a glass cheering "Well we all know why he fell for Annabelle-" Michael laughed "She's a bloody goddess". I shook my head with a light smile "I haven't fallen for anyone and im not soft" I crossed my arms across my chest. The boys just sat and chuckled.

"Tommies in denial!" They began chanting and I began laughing along with them, They always knew how to make me laugh along with them. I spoke up once more in an attempt of shutting them up "If you lot don't stop-" I started only to receive the reply of "or what? you'll run away back your house with Annabelle?" Michael joked. I bit my tongue trying not to laugh, I had definitely drunk too much. "You lot are assholes" I shook my head and sat back in my seat. I wasn't in love with Annabelle, sure she's pretty and we spend a lot of time together but I wasn't in love.

Arthur turned to face me as he fiddled with the ring on his right hand, "Has Annabelle ever told you about her life before she came here?"

Arthur turned to face me as he fiddled with the ring on his right hand, "Has Annabelle ever told you about her life before she came here?". I shook my head "Only bits and pieces" I replied "what're you going to do when she leaves?" John asked. "She's not going to leave" I stared down into my glass of whiskey watching the amber liquid slide around in the glass "what makes you think that?" John questioned. I slowly turned to face john "I just know she won't" I shook my head assuring myself that she wouldn't.

"can I say something Thomas?" I looked at Michael "Of course" I nodded towards him. "Just don't take it the wrong way-" he sighed "I think Annabelle should stay at Polly's not your new place... I just think she would be up against the odds with all the people who want your head". I understood what he was saying but I couldn't leave her there. I don't know what it was but I couldn't move until I knew she was okay and the only way I can make sure of that everyday is if she is with me at all times.

"I understand" I spoke, "She might also get lonely, Tom" Arthur spoke up now supporting Michael. "Im sure if Ada was here, she would have lectured you on how dangerous it is" John looked at the floor. "well I can't change the fact that im a wanted man, However people know she's associated with the Shelby's now and that puts a price on her head as well" I spoke sending silence throughout the room. "Tommy, she needs to go home" Michael stated clearly saddened by the thought of Annabelle leaving.

A knock at the door broke us out of our pondering, it was one of the blinders from the betting shop "What is it?" Arthur questioned as he stepped into the room

A knock at the door broke us out of our pondering, it was one of the blinders from the betting shop "What is it?" Arthur questioned as he stepped into the room. "Polly needs to see Thomas" I looked back at the boys with a role of my eyes "Guess all my funs being cut short. Don't let Finn drink anymore whiskey" I warned as I picked up my coat and put on my cap before I left out in the rain back to the house. I turned multiple corners, watching the shadows as I made my way back home.

I finally rounded the corner closest to the house and saw that only two lights were on, Polly's and Annabelle's. Either they had had a fight or I was about to become the victim of verbal and maybe physical abuse, on Polly's end. I sighed as I opened the door and placed my hat on the rack near the door along with my now drenched coat. I made my way up the staircase and towards Polly's room "Why did you need to see me so badly Poll?" I asked walking inside only to find Annabelle asleep at the end of her bed.

 I made my way up the staircase and towards Polly's room "Why did you need to see me so badly Poll?" I asked walking inside only to find Annabelle asleep at the end of her bed

"help me move her please" she sighed wiping away some tears that had sprung from her eyes. Still unaware of what had happened I did as I was asked and gently lifted Annabelle in my arms and carried her close to my chest, to her room. I tucked her in making sure that the cold wouldn't get to her, Out of new habit I placed a soft kiss on her forehead and turned back towards Poll who had a faint smile on her face. "The  boys were right" She nodded slowly as we exited the room.

"About what?" I questioned as we made our way over to my study which was located a few rooms down and took  seats facing each other. "You love her, Tommy" Poll had a twinkle in her eye that I hadn't seen in a long time. The kind of twinkle she used to get when she saw something that made her heart swell with happiness. "I wouldn't expect you to admit it of course" She continued. "No, I understand" I replied as I watched her pull out a cigarette and begin to smoke it. "Just promise me, you wont break her heart" she sniffled.

I looked at the ground in thought, "How would I do that?" I muttered looking over at her slender frame as she blew puffs of smoke

I looked at the ground in thought, "How would I do that?" I muttered looking over at her slender frame as she blew puffs of smoke. "Don't get yourself killed, or worse. Cheat" Her words cut right through me like a blade, just the thought of either of those things would be enough to make a chill run through my bones. "I won't ever leave her" I looked back waiting for a responce "Im speaking from the heart, Poll. I promise". She looked over with a smile and nodded "I know you would't, not with her".

"Now before we start getting too emotional, why were you both crying? and Annabelle in your room?" I spoke softly yet firmly. It was worrying enough to see Annabelle cry but when Polly cries theres something big behind it. "She was just explaining how she missed her home, Her Grandmother and even her other family that she was struggling with before she came here". She must have spilled her heart out to Poll, then again I guess it was better it was Aunt Poll and not me. I wouldn't know what to do, Id just be able to comfort her the best I could...