Chapter 76 ~ Preparations

Thomas's P.o.v.

Later that afternoon Ada and I thought it appropriate to go visit the graveyard which was now filled with freshly marked graves from the war. We spent around thirty minutes talking to one another and speaking with our mother. However our time was cut short when Ada said she wanted to speak to me about something more important. As we walked around the grounds I noticed her arms were now folded up against her chest which was never a good sign for her. It meant what she was going to say was worrying her.

"Thomas, I don't think this is the end of the businesses problems. I know the hit went well but now that everyone is back if they all find out about what has been going on whilst all the men were away its going to be a shit show". I stared focusing on the gates "I know its not over. But I would rather die a happily married man that was hated by everyone rather than a lonely one. "What if something happens at the wedding?" I could tell she knew something I didn't otherwise she wouldn't be mentioning something like this. "Why would you ask something like that?" she just shook her head. "I just have a bad feeling about it" she looked at the ground.

"Nothings going to happen and if something does happen we'll be ready for it" I reassured her. I had already spoken to the boys about security on the day. There would be a great many of people who would want to try and take us out all at once. We would be like sitting ducks. Just waiting for the bullets to start flying and the blood to start flowing. I wasn't going to let that happen and ruin my wedding though. "If you say so then I believe you" Ada nodded approvingly and we made our way back to the car.

 "If you say so then I believe you" Ada nodded approvingly and we made our way back to the car

Back at the house the boys had been setting up in the backyard. We decided that a church wedding in a public place would be too risky so instead we were going to have the ceremony in our own back garden. Luckily for us though everyone was helping to set up and the garden was plenty big enough. When we reached the house I made my way out to see the progress the boys had been making , or lack of depending on how they had spent the last couple of hours.

John sat in a chair ordering people around. Decorations were going up left right and centre and I could already tell Annabelle was going to love it. We had decided to keep all the decorations a secret until the actual day. We figured it wouldn't be too long a wait. "So John-" I interrupted his conversation with Arthur "how is the security going?" I asked folding my arms over my chest. "It's going just fine, we have ad a few people sniffing around but they've been warned off" he peered over his shoulder at the main drive. 

"What does that mean?" I raised an eyebrow wanting to know more. "There were a few guys with knives who pulled up. They demanded to speak with Annabelle but we took care of it". I peered over at Arthur who slowly motioned a cut throat. "I hope you didn't keep them on the property" I shook my head slightly worried "What do you think the fire is for" John scratched his ear seeming all too calm. The war really changed us all, so much so that we were now comfortable with the ideas and actions of death. 

I gave him a slap on the back and we all gathered around a seperate bon fire that Finn and a few of the other blinders were seated around

I gave him a slap on the back and we all gathered around a seperate bon fire that Finn and a few of the other blinders were seated around. "So Tommy how'd you feel?" one of the men asked, I raised my gaze from the fire and smiled small "Good, I just wish things were a little less complicated. I wish we didn't constantly have the blood of others on our hands". Arthur nodded understanding completely. " I hear ya Tom" he agreed. "Like I said Tom, we handled it. If anyone tries anything at this wedding we are all ready to defend ourselves. You just have to worry about yourself and your soon to be bride" John said a little bitterly towards the end which made me glance over at him.

He couldn't seriously be mad still. My concern drifted from others trying to harm or interfere with the wedding from those closer, all because of the comment John made. "Yeah John. I get it" was all I replied with.

 I get it" was all I replied with

Your P.o.v.

I had spent the remainder of the day away with the girls. I was being forbidden to go back to my own home. I thought for sure this was Tommy's way of punishing me for taking action the other day. But all in all I sat with the girls around a small bonfire and tried to giggle and laugh and smile about the idea of becoming Mrs Annabelle Shelby but there was something nagging in the back of my mind. I knew that this wedding wouldn't be safe for anyone and if I was being honest it upset me, although I wouldn't dare show it.

I looked back towards the house imagining what Tommy and the boys must be dealing with right now. Actually they were probably drinking and smoking having a great time. I looked back to slowly and tried to shake off the feeling of worry that had began to eat away at me.

 I looked back to slowly and tried to shake off the feeling of worry that had began to eat away at me

everything was going to be fine.