Chapter 86 ~ Hospitalised

All night the doctors had been attending to Annabelle trying to stop the bleeding and restore her into a stable condition. I was told multiple times that I was unable to see her and my patience was beginning to wear thin. I paced the hallways slamming my fists against the doors out of anger. Not only had I gotten her into the mess and almost gotten her killed for the what felt like the hundredth time but now I wasn't even allowed to see my wife at all. Some people might argue it's because they think I'm a danger to her but what's a man supposed to do when all he wants is to make sure his wife is okay.

 Some people might argue it's because they think I'm a danger to her but what's a man supposed to do when all he wants is to make sure his wife is okay

I needed to let her know how much she needs her to get through this. To let her know how much I love and adore her. To let her know how much her children love and need her. Most of all how her husband would fall to pieces without her. I had already almost lost her so many times leading up to this that it was getting beyond ridiculous. In the moment I couldn't even imagine what it's going to be like raising our children. Shaking my head Arthur places a hand on my shoulder to try and calm me down.

"Don't worry Tom, they'll make sure she's okay. Why don't you go for a walk? Try and calm down. John and I'll keep an ear out for any news, right?" He began leading me to the doors. Maybe I did need to get out of this hell hole. In all the rooms were people sick and some dying, it wasn't giving me the hope I so desperately needed. Leaving was a bit easier knowing that John was there. Even though we weren't really on good terms I knew he would do anything for Annabelle and had her best interest at heart. 

Once I had left the hospital and gone to see Poll who had come up to see me once she found out that we had gotten Annabelle out safely, I was put on house arrest. I stood in the doorway smoking a cigarette worry clearly showing on my face. I couldn't just stand here and do wait. I shouldn't have to just stand here and wait, I am Thomas fucking Shelby for crying out loud! Lost in my argumentative thoughts I bit my tongue and shook my head trying to calm down.

 I shouldn't have to just stand here and wait, I am Thomas fucking Shelby for crying out loud! Lost in my argumentative thoughts I bit my tongue and shook my head trying to calm down

Later that night Arthur came back home leaving John at the hospital and sent Finn to go keep him company and help be my eyes and ears. I paced in the living room questioning Arthur on if there were any updates or if anyone had tried to sneak in to see her. "Tom for the last time no one was there but the bloody doctors and nurses. They're doing all they can" he shook his head running a hand through his slicked back hair. "I know... I just need her to pull through this. We were so close to  fixing everything" I mumbled the last part to myself.

Arthur poured himself another drink after listening to me worry for over three hours now. I found some comfort in knowing that Ada was back home looking after my children but it still wasn't enough to ground me and forget about what was happening here. Sighing I turned on my heels and looked back at Arthur who just rolled his eyes watching me. "What now?" he cursed tilting his head to stare at the ceiling. "I know im irritating you but maybe there's a way I can go see Annabelle-" I began thinking.

 "I know im irritating you but maybe there's a way I can go see Annabelle-" I began thinking

"Tommy for god's sake, whatever your thinking don't do it" he cradled his head in his hands trying to hold on to the last bit of patience he had. "You don't think I can get in?" I asked "No I think you would but I don't think you should. Annabelle needs to rest and there is no fucking way she is going to be able to do that if you are standing around her hovering the whole time".  He had a point. Maybe my best option was to just stay away all together until I got word from the doctors.

I nodded my head finally giving up and poured myself a drink before heading to my designated room on the second floor. I could see the relief in Arthurs eyes are he wished me goodnight. As I entered the room I closed the door behind me and took off my blazer stripping down to my undershirt and trunks. If sleep was going to be my only comfort in the next 24 hours then I hope to sleep until the moment Annabelle awakes again. 

I sat upon my bed and slid underneath the covers and stared at the ceiling. For a few long moments I couldn't bare to close my eyes just in case something happened but my fatigue got the better of me and I felt my eyes slowly drift closed. Not long later sleep came and rescued me from my panic and took me to a more calm place. Now I just had to wait until morning.