Chapter 73 ~ Come home

Your P.o.v.

For the last time Thomas said goodbye. Only this time eleven months later everyone received the word we had been praying for. The was was over and everyone would be returning home to see their loved ones. Although many were lost to great tragedy we will be eternally grateful for their sacrifices. During Thomas's time away many things had changed, I had heard word from Sam. He was doing well and would be on the next ride home, he was uninjured and healthy which is all I could have wished for my dear friend. Thinking about everything I could still remember the emotions that ran through me when the news first came out. I had gone down to the shoreline with Charlie when Ada and Aunt polly came running down to see us, tears streaming down their faces. "Annabelle!" they called.

Turning around ready to pick Charlie up and run for cover I looked towards them "What is it!?" I asked panicked "Its over!" they cried engulfing me in a tight hug "They're coming home!" Polly sobbed into my shoulder causing me to do the same. "The boys are already on their way home" Ada smiled "Thomas is going to be so happy when he comes home and see's this" Ada smiled making me shake his head. Polly looked towards the two of us and raised an eyebrow"Did no one tell him?" Polly snapped to attention realising that no we had not. Wiping her eyes she  looked at both Ada and I "You cant be serious?". "We wanted it to be a secret for when he returned next" Polly was gobsmacked.

"How did you even-" she began talking to herself with a smiled on her face shaking her head "You sneaky bastards" she laughed. "let just hope he's happy" I spoke aloud worried about what his reaction may be when he finally comes home. "Annabelle he's going to be over the moon, what else could he ask for? He has a beautiful family, a loyal wife, a successful business and a lovely home!". Ada was right im sure he would be happy no matter what happened. My only concern was now how the boys were doing.

 My only concern was now how the boys were doing

Were they okay? 

Would they be the same as when they left?

Are they happy now that the war is over?

Thomas's P.o.v.

I ran down below on one of the ships and began shouting at the top of my lungs. I could feel it deep within me that we had won, we were going home.Thoughts of all the horrible things I had witnessed in my time being here quickly vanished for a split second and were replaced with the thoughts of home. Annabelle and Charlie, Ada and Poll were all back  home waiting for us. John and Arthur had already received the news and were on their way home, about three days away. Michael, Sam and Myself were about six days away but nothing would stop me now from getting home.

I shouted "Its over" to the boys "We're going home" and for the next six days of traveling there was music, drinking, dancing, singing. Parties everywhere in celebration of the amazing win we had had. Knowing we were able to go home was better than anything we could have hoped for. Although once a year for the last few years I had been able to go back home and visit my family the knowledge that this time I wouldn't be leaving again was far more important.

 Although once a year for the last few years I had been able to go back home and visit my family the knowledge that this time I wouldn't be leaving again was far more important

As we watched the scenery change on our journey back home and familier towns come back into view I got the feeling I was missing something. I knew I was but as far as I knew I had everything and everyone the same as I did before the was started. Soon we would be home and all would be set right and until then I guess I was just going to have to wait and try and figure out what it was that was missing. I kept thinking maybe I had lost a photograph or maybe a letter but I kept each and everyone of them close to my heart in the inside of my coat.

Sighing I took a seat beside the boys at one of the places we were making camp and looked up at the sky. "Do you think everything will go back to the way it was?" Michael asked staring down into the fire. I shook my head no "It wont be exactly the same... but for some things will go back to the way they were before the war". I took out a smoke from the inside of my pocked and lit it before placing it between my lips and puffing out smoke.

I'll be home soon...