Chapter 63 ~ The destruction of Birmingham

Your P.o.v.

4 Months later

I sat in the corner of the white bricked building the smell of rubble and ash still present. I stared at the floor wiping the continuous flow of tears clouding my field of vision. "Annabelle Winters?" a nurse called from the door frame holding a clipboard in her hand as she scanned the room. Her uniform was dirtied, covered in dried blood, dirt and ash. I stood from my seat and walked shakily towards her following her down the corridor of newly improvised hospital that had been set up after the destruction of Birmingham.

Bombs fell from the sky and warning sirens screamed bellowing in everyones ears. Women grabbed their children and ran for shelter both above and below ground. I somehow managed to find cover down by the bridge I had entered this world in and pulled my knees up to my chin as I crouched afraid for my own safety but more importantly the babies. After an hour patrol troops came into the area pulling people out of buildings and evacuating them to safer environments. Well as safe as they can be in a war. I looked at the nurse as she brought out her examination equipment.

"I need your personal information if thats okay?" she asked holding a pen in her hand. I nodded brushing my hair out of my face "Age" "19" she eyed me for a moment before writing it down on her board. "How far along are you?" I wrapped my arms around my stomach briefly realising how much time had gone past since finding out "six months". The lady held a warm smile on her face "If you don't mind me asking-" she began to ask taking a seat across from me "Who's the father?" fresh tears streamed down my face at the memory of Thomas "Thomas Shelby.

The womens mouth gaped open slightly for a second before standing and looking over my chart "We were engaged" I continued "But before we were able to get married he had to leave because of this stupid war" I whimpered

The womens mouth gaped open slightly for a second before standing and looking over my chart "We were engaged" I continued "But before we were able to get married he had to leave because of this stupid war" I whimpered. "Do you know where he is now?" she asked and I looked up at her "France, Front line" the womens eyes widened before quickly darting out of the room and bringing in a doctor when she returned. He wore a stained white coat and large black commando boots covered in mud. 

"This lady needs all the treatment she can get" The man looked at my stomach and back at the nurse and looked down at my chart before finally asking the question "Why is she so important compared to the others?". I shook my head thinking to myself the same question "She's Mr Shelby's fiancé and thats his baby" the doctor shared a knowing glance with the nurse before she smiled and walked out of the room to tend to other patients. "Annabelle do you know where the other Shelby women are?" I shook my head no "I haven't seen them since the bombs fell".

The man nodded and wrote something on a piece of paper before handing it to me "This has their address, they were evacuated yesterday". "Thank you so much" I took the paper in my hands and stared at the words sprawled across the paper. "Ill arrange transport for you to leave in a few moments. I figure you'd want to be with them as soon as possible" I nodded and walked back out to the waiting room for the doctor to call one of the patrol cars to come and pick me up and take me to my family.

Thomas's P.o.v.

1 week after the bombings

I had managed to find a little hollow to take cover in whilst traveling further north into enemy territory. I pulled out a smoke from the front pocket of my shirt and lit it savouring the taste. It had been the first time in months that id been able to just sit for a moment and smoke. I was exhausted, battered and bruised. The thought of my family however still played on my mind, it was them or my thoughts of surviving the battle I was in. I had received a letter only a few days ago from them but I was yet to open it. 

I pulled out the paper envelope from my pocket and opened it up pulling out the letter

I pulled out the paper envelope from my pocket and opened it up pulling out the letter. I read over the words carefully and felt my heart strings tug at every word written. Annabelle was almost ready to have our baby in a few months and Ada and poll had been looking after the shop as best they could. Even so the next paragraph almost tore me apart completely. Birmingham had been utterly annihilated and most of the buildings had been destroyed leaving the majority of the population living there homeless.

I could imagine the look of panic and fear on their faces as the sirens would have rang alarming the city they were being attacked from above. Her horrified face would have been enough to make anyones heart break as she saw the destruction of her home. Blood, mattered hair and ruble all over her. I shook my head taking a deep breath, John and Arthur walking down into the hollow with me. "Is that from the girls?" They asked with a smile, I covered my mouth with my hand holding back a scream. 

"Birmingham was bombed heavily... The girls are safe" was all I managed to choke out before standing and rushing out of the hollow. To do what I don't know but I needed to get out of that ditch. "Tom!" Arthur called as they followed me out "What about the baby" "Its fine" I said leaning against a tree for support. The shock was hitting my hard and I just wanted so badly to go back home and be with them to help them, to do something! 

 The shock was hitting my hard and I just wanted so badly to go back home and be with them to help them, to do something!