Chapter 25 ✨

(Partially Edited 12/15/21)

Third person POV

As Sasuke tried pulling the kunai out of his thigh, Sakura was brushing Haru's much longer bangs out of her face. A nervous reaction meant to calm Sakura's racing mind during such strenuous events.

"When do you think she'll wake up?" Sakura asks, the tone of her voice coming out rather unevenly as she's full of nerves. Sasuke's silence only manages to make it all worse.

Sakura was understandably mortified for the teammate on her lap, so much that she wasn't really looking at Sasuke at all. Her eyes were locked on Haru's blank face, the Senju's eyes were closed and her chest rose, then fell with every deep breath she took.

It looked as if Haru was dozed off in a long awaited slumber, but both Sakura and Sasuke knew better than that.

Sakura, although terribly nervous, did not have a level of worry that could quite compare to Sasuke's.

Even though he still had a kunai lodged in his thigh, a stinging sensation that seared deep in his body and had his teeth gritting in pain, his eyes were fixed on the Senju.

His gaze would dart between every breath she took and the peaceful expression on her face, anxiously awaiting the moment that she'd wake up and show them both that she was indeed, okay.

Unfortunately, in their current states of mind, clouded by fear stricken reactions and pure survival instinct, the two remaining teammates failed to notice that something was a bit off about Haru. 

The girl in sakura's lap, was simply a mere illusion.

Before Sasuke could come to his wits and figure it all out, the once 'sleeping Haru' suddenly morphed into a giant cloud a smoke; her body disappearing into a grey mist and leaving behind a forest dwelling snake.

Sakura shrieked at the sight of the creature, backing away from it all at once while Sasuke just watched, shocked by the new development.

"T-that wasn't Haru!" She gasped, still in complete and utter shock as she frantically looked around for her friend. Sasuke stayed still, where the hell was Haru?

He could only hope she was safe at this point alongside Naruto at that point. And still, the thought of her being so far from him, away from his protection, brought in an entirely new sense of dread.

"That girl we just got away from, she replaced Haru with this damn substitution and we believed it." Sasuke groaned in anger, ripping his eyes away from the snake.

Sakura leant her head against a tree "Could this get any worse? Two of our teammates are gone!" She yelled to which Sasuke shushed her.

"We don't need anymore attention, announcing that we're down two teammates isn't exactly smart Sakura." Sasuke said. She lowered her voice and apologized.

"I'm just worried." She whispered thinking of her two teammates.

Although Sakura didn't like Haru too much at first, they warmed up to each other and Sakura considered her a friend.

Haru POV

"You look pathetic and adorable right now." A rugged voice said out of nowhere casuing me to sulk even more. "Isao what are you doing here?" I asked.