Part Thirteen

I got to school and did my work. Keeping my head down, paying attention. It wasn't until fifth period, during Gym, where the phone rang, summoning me into the principals office. I saw two police officers there. I opened the door cautiously.

"You needed something sir?"

"Yes, Mr. Fischer. Please take a seat."

I did as I was told and glanced at the officer.

"Drew, I called you here because there had been a terrible accident." I looked at Mr. Branson, confused.

"Terrible accident?" Mr. Branson nodded to the officer.

"Drew Fischer, correct?" I nodded.

"Calls had been made, regarding your house. My partner and I checked out your house. I checked around and we had noticed something. I'm sorry to tell you this Drew, but your mother is dead." The officer's partner looked at me straight in the eyes, looking for emotion and that's exactly what I gave him.

I ran my hands through my hair and started to hyperventilate. Looking around desperately. "You.. you can't be serious! How long had she been dead?" My face softened and I forced a few tears. I could feel my eyes cloud over with sorrow. I acted desperate as if trying to think of a solution.

"Do you have any clue who could've killed your mother?"

I tried to slow my breathing, catching myself. My look hardened as I stared at the chair beside me.

"John Fischer, my father..."

"Do you have any clues on where he may be and why we could've done it?"

The well. I shook my head,"I hadn't seen him for awhile after we had an argument. I left the house and went to the park. I ended up sleeping on a bench there because I didn't want to go back there.." I made an alibi, although there aren't any cameras there. "I'm only accusing him because... because he would beat us. He has PTSD.. from after he came home from the war."

I could see the partner scribbling in his little notepad. "I don't know where he is, so I'm not much help. He always hurt us when he was drunk or felt like it. He's the only family I got left."

They reassured me that they'd find him and I was released back to class. I watched my back for the rest of the day. They relocated me to a safe house, where they'd be keeping a close eye on me for awhile.