Part Eighteen

I slept for about six hours and woke up, more groggy than before. I looked around the dark house making sure no one else was awake. I walked outside and took out a cigarette, lighting it with ease. I breathed in the cold air and glanced at the moon. I heard creaking on the wooden floor and quickly turned.

Ash stood in the doorway. I hid the cigarette and exhaled the smoke to smirk at her.  "You couldn't sleep?"

I shook my head. "I slept long enough, why are you awake.?"

"I heard the front door open.." she tried to peak at what I held behind my back. I burned the cigarette into my palm and didn't even budge. 

"I didn't know you smoked. Why do you do it?"

"I shrugged and threw the bud off of the porch. "I feel okay when I smoke." 

I walked back inside and laid on the couch until the sun rose. Morning came and I left the house quickly. I ignored everyone until Gym. We were playing softball outside and I couldn't help but notice a girl wearing sleeves. It was 79 degrees outside we're on a field. It was strange but whatever.

I stood up the plate as it became my turn. I maintained my position and bent my knees as my grip tightened on the bat. I focused on the ball as it was thrown my way. I hit the ball as hard as I could and it hit the girl with sleeves in the stomach. Shit.