Chapter Fourteen - Scarlett

"Grandmother." he whispers as his eyes avert from me.

"Hello darling. I was just having a little chat with Scarlett."

His eyes return to me and to the stake in my hands. It was something that I had hidden in my robe, not knowing if there would be a time where I would need it. In recent times I had thought I would never need it but after our little walk among the apple trees, I now thought differently. Those blood red eyes will haunt me for the rest of my days, he stalked me, and if it wasn't for the beast on the other side of the fence breaking his concentration, I would be dead.

"How long are you back for?"

"Not really sure." she shrugs. "Only time will tell. Could you give us a moment?"

"Of course."

He looks at me again before he leaves, I know he wants to tell me how sorry he is, that it will never happen again but it doesn't help. I now realise how unsafe it is for me here. I am dinner to him. I heard the door click as his grandmother turns back to me.

"You can relax Scarlett; I am unable to harm you. Watch."

She takes her hands and puts one right through the palm of the other.

"I have the appearance of being here, but I am not."

"Like a ghost?"

"Yes." she smiles, the lips curl into a wicked grin. "Only we call it turlosi. It is a vampiric word; it means that I have returned for a purpose. I will be here until my purpose has been achieved and then I will return to the afterlife. The longer I am here the weaker my presence will be. I now appear before you as full form, after some time my appearance will begin to fade. My purpose must be achieved swiftly or I may become too weak to perform my duties."

"So why are you here?"

"To help you, to help you trust Lucas again. To help you in your path."

"My path?"

"Yes, yours is a path that has been set for you, long before you were born."

"Let me guess." I roll my eyes. "You're going to tell me I need to become a vampire. There's a queue that you can join for that one."

"How about you go and freshen up, then we can chat some more."

When I had showered I found the robe completely clean, no longer covered in mud. I also found that my stake was gone. Damn it! Lucas's grandmother was in the lounge area of my bedroom, waiting patiently for me.

"Eloise Ariella Mordecai, if I forgot to mention it before." she gestures to the lounge. "Lou is fine."

I sit on the lounge and look at the woman before me, she looks so much like Gabriella, it's not funny. Her dark brown hair was swept up in a loose bun, her skin pale with two big blue eyes that watched me with humour.

"My path, Lou?"

"Oh yes." she smiles, thinking as she presses the soft material of her dress.

"Have you ever researched your family tree?"

I shake my head.

"No one in your family?"

"No."

"Tell me about yourself Scarlett, win any awards? Intelligent? Anything of noteworthiness?"

"Yes, yes and yes I suppose."

"Go on."

"Well I was always good at running, laps, cross country. You name it, I did it."

"Win anything?"