Chapter Twenty-six - Lucas

The first part of Zach's plan was done, make her jealous, make her verbally commit to me, bed her. Over and over again. She slept peacefully when I stopped, her mind was willing but the flesh was weak. She was tired and sore, her body covered in tiny lumps from where I had bit her. It intensified her pleasure and I knew she loved it. The second part of Zach's plan I did not agree with at all. But I was ordered to trust him, my parents and my grandmother believed his plan would work. I however was reluctant to take her outside of the castle grounds, fearing someone would see her and recognise her. The only words he had for me, was, when the time came and her turning would happen, I was to be strong. To not let my emotions take over, because when it did happen, time would be important, very important. I had wondered how someone so young could be so wise. As I laid in bed beside Scarlett, I wondered if Zach possessed the traits of foresight, predictability and assuredness. These were traits that were commonly found in prophets and I grinned. Was it possible that my little brother was a prophet? There hadn't been one for quite some time, in fact, the last prophet was Scarlett's ancestor. It was highly likely, he was so smug and assured about everything and was never wrong about anything. He knew things before they happened, he suggested things that eventuated to be correct. I quietly sighed, knowing the path that lay ahead for him was one that no one would want. If he was a prophet, it meant that he could see the future, it meant that he would know if someone was going to do something, if something was going to happen or if someone was going to die. That is of course, if it was something he was destined to see. I would never beg or want for this ability, not for anything. It explained why he seemed so much older than he was, mentally he was probably as old as I was.

Tomorrow was Scarlett's birthday and as usual I had been ordered into this nightmare of don'ts by the council. It was driving me crazy, I had to somehow convince Scarlett this life waiting for her would be wonderful yet I couldn't lavish anything on her. Terrance was being his usual control freak self, ruling that I could give her the bare minimum, enough to make it a reasonable birthday but nothing that would make it a great birthday. Over and over again I had argued with him about it, even my father had tried to intervene, but both Terrance and the council had voted on it, agreeing that she would not be rewarded until she turned. None of them could see the reality of Scarlett's situation, the fact that what was going on was actually a detriment to it. I wanted to go against their ruling and do as I pleased but I knew it wasn't wise. The punishment wasn't worth it and Scarlett would have to have a shit birthday, I would make it up to her when she turned. Whenever that might be.

The weather was unseasonably warm tonight, the windows open to let the non-existent cool breeze through. Scarlett had kicked the sheets off and laid on my bed naked and stunning. I ran my fingers over her sternum in between those breasts, way too big for her body but they were perfect. My fingers pressed into the gap between her rib cage and into her stomach, flat with the tiniest hint of muscle definition. The bar that pierced her navel glinted in the light that shone through, the stone at the end of it sparkled. Below her navel was a tattoo scrawled across her stomach, marking the lower half of it. My hand splayed out over her stomach, it shrank to my cold touch.

"One day very soon you will work, one day you will hold my children, to care and nurture them as they grow." I whispered to it.

I could hear movement, whispers within the house, Candy was being brought in without Scarlett knowing. Somehow Zach had managed to convince my father to let her come, much to my annoyance, he had changed his mind on the subject. But like everything else in this world, Zach asks and Zach gets. If Scarlett found Candy here, it would upset her. I didn't mind if she was here, she was her friend and she made Scarlett happy but that was the point of her not being here, Scarlett's happiness. The reasoning was that if Scarlett was sad, she might just think for long enough to realise that her turning would allow Candy to return. Candy was a distraction, keeping Scarlett happy and not thinking about her future. A future that was closing in on us.

Daily reports were coming in about slayer attacks, vampires were still going missing and worse yet, blood donor buildings were being torched. It wasn't just us that needed the donated blood, obviously the humans needed it as well and the blood stock was running low. My father and I had already discussed bringing in humans that idolised us. As much as our kind hated it, we had to give a lot of gratitude to the hardcore vampire fans that were waiting for us to show our inner turmoil, our hatred for our own kind, empathy for humans that caused angst. They loved our beauty, they lusted for our fangs, freely giving themselves in the hope that we might just make them one of us. But little did they know that turning a human wasn't as common as what they were led to believe, in fact most vampires were rather reluctant to do it. It wasn't requested by the grand council, but it was preferred that if you did want to turn a human that you seek their approval before doing so, unless it was an emergency. So this was our future, removing blood from willing donors with the offer of turning them that was never going to be done. My father didn't like the thought of lying to them, but what other choice did he have? If the slayers continued to attack the blood donor buildings, we would be left with nothing. Now he had a list of humans that were reliable and ready to give.

Scarlett stirred in the bed as a deathly cold breeze floated in the room. Among the tiny bites on her skin were goose bumps. I pulled the sheet over her and closed the windows. As I climbed back into bed, Scarlett rolled into my arms, snuggling into my embrace. It was like being wrapped in a blanket in a sauna but I didn't want to be anywhere else. Her skin is so soft, the burning heat under the pads of my fingers is barely tolerable but I ignore it and caress her skin, along the edge of her shoulder. I didn't think it was possible to barely know someone and still feel this way, but I couldn't imagine my life without her. Every day that I went out searching for Oliver and Annabella I wished I could stay here with Scarlett. Even the most mundane things were wonderful, like laying here and resting. She is an addiction, sex is unbelievable, far better than any other woman that I've been with and her blood is so tantalising. And then there's her mind, she's bright and cheeky, I love her sharp tongue and I love that she can give as good as she gets when it comes to the likes of Mariska.

She muttered something in her sleep, I was curious as to what she had said.

"What did you say Scarlett?" I whispered.

Her eyes were closed as she repeated the words, I knew she was asleep when she asked me if I loved her.

"Since the very first day."