Chapter Thirty-seven - Scarlett

Life with Lucas had definitely changed now that I was a vampire. I wish that someone had just said that everything would be good once I had turned, that I could spend my life drinking out of donor bags if I didn't want to take a life. But for some reason everyone was banned from telling me anything just because I was human. I had to become a vampire first, then they could tell me. It was a stupid rule and I had said so several times. Lucas agreed with me and oddly so did Henry. I'm figuring it's been hell on everyone here too, it wasn't as if I had made life easy for anyone. It's surprising that any of them still speak to me. Lucas was still dark and brooding, often lost in his thoughts. He still has moments of anger but after the revelation of Oliver and Anna, I'd guess it is the reason for the majority of his dark thoughts. In his mind he has a lot of walls, things that are locked to everyone. Zach had been teaching me how to enter a mind, search for certain things, break down weak walls. Lucas was a tough one to break, with age came experience and he was certainly good at maintaining firm walls. There were however, occasions when there would be a crack, one tiny little moment where he would be so distracted in what he was doing that his defences weakened. It was then that I swooped. I relived the memory of that night, seeing how he saved Gaby. He thought that Oliver was ok, telling him to look after Anna and by the time he realised they weren't behind them, it was too late. I couldn't understand why he wouldn't want this to be open, but it occurred to me that maybe he was protecting his parents from finding the memory. And then there were the other memories, the ones I understood why he locked them away. Girlfriends. In particular, the one that had visited unannounced when I first arrived was very prominent in his mind. He'd had a few women hang around, clearly the majority of them were after the title but this one wasn't. She was already affluent and high up in the world of vampires, so his status or money meant nothing to her. Her walking away without a word said had broken him, in his mind he had thought that he truly did love her and she cast him away like he was nothing.

I stared at my reflection, thinking about my poor lost Lucas, trapped in a world of pain. There was nothing I could do to change his past; I couldn't magically erase the nasty cow that walked away from him although I wished that I could. I couldn't make his brother and sister reappear, alive or even unharmed. I can't change his past. But you can give him a better future hopeful Scarlett whispered to me. Smiling as I looked down over my stomach, a long line of flesh in between the two sides of my bathrobe. Wondering if children would make him happy. Wondering when I was going to become pregnant. You know what will make Lucas happy hopeful whispered again He told you, you... always you.

Candy giggled as I dressed into my very sexy underwear, the blue satin and black lace stood out against my pale skin. It looked amazing. She helped me into my strapless dress, a deep rich red with black strapping in the front and the back. My mother took over in tightening the corset straps on my back, Candy had no clue. The skirt below ruffled around me, puckering up to my hips in places with black tulle underneath. I didn't think that Lucas would go for such an unusual wedding but he was more than happy with it. Lilly puts the choker on me, hundreds of black beads in an intricate pattern that formed around my neck and down onto my chest. My mother frowned at my shoes as the last of my makeup was put on me, deep burgundy lipstick, dark eyeliner and a beautiful blue eye shadow, put on so very sparingly but enough to highlight my blue eyes. Well, that's what Lilly said as she put it on me. I however, wasn't so sure about it until I looked in the mirror damn she was right. Alina walked into the room as the shoes were passed to me, stunning platform gloss black shoes, stiletto heels with a little skull and cross bones on the back of the shoes.

"Are we ready to go ladies because there are certain guests that want this over and done with so that we can get moving."

Lilly rolls her eyes. "She has to get knocked up first."