Epilogue

Five years later.....

I lay in bed listening to the sound of Elston playing in his room. He sounds so sweet as he sits and talks to his toys. We are in our new house now, a smaller scale version of Henry and Mae's place. Of course it was still far too big for us, Lucas was determined that we weren't going to be cramped for space especially considering we wanted to have a lot of children. The house was grand, I dreaded to think how much was spent on it. We were now closer to the secret entrance because of the children. It is the exit I have to use because of the beasts. I'm not prepared to take them through the other exit.

I dress quickly and venture to his room. He is sitting on his little stool at his desk, furiously colouring with his crayons. He is a budding artist, the cork board on the wall was dotted with dozens of pictures. Our family, the creatures, the staff, his toys, nothing is safe, everything is drawn. He has even gotten up and dressed himself. I know he has dressed himself because he isn't colour coordinated. If Lucas had dressed him, he would be dressed impeccably.

"Morning little man."

"Mummy I drawded you a picture."

"Oh wow, that's great Elston. Such an artist."

He grins at me as I pick him up. His smile is so cute; those big blue eyes look up at me with pure happiness. We walk down the corridor, to Ariella's room, she's not there. I continue to the lounge, finding Lucas reading a paper.

"Lucas, where is Ariella?"

"With Zach."

"And where is Zach? It's breakfast time."

"Somewhere outside." He shrugs.

I look out the window across the lawn and see him sitting by the electric fence, one of the creatures on the other side hovers close.

"Shit, he's at the fence."

I put Elston on his father's lap, crushing the paper and in seconds I am out the door and at the fence.

"Zachary Henry Mordecai what the hell do you think you are doing?"

"Chill pill Scarlett, he's cool."

"Look mummy." Ariella giggles as she points to the creature. "Fangsy is my friendy."

"That's great Ariella. Zach it isn't safe, why do you bring her down here?"

"Because she likes to talk to them."

"I talked to them mummy. I talked to them all the time."

I look at Zach who shrugs at me.

"I wouldn't believe it either, but she talks and it's like they talk back, their throats vibrate, low sounds come out of them."

I sit down on the ground beside them, the creature so close to us, I could reach through the fence and touch it. A big black eye stares at me, glossy darkness surrounded by the scaly green. I was still at odds with these creatures, even if I could walk easily around them.

"You're kidding right?"

He shakes his head.

"Ariella, show mummy how you talk to fangs."

"Fangsy, you show mummy how you rollded."

To my astonishment this creature flops onto its side and rolls over just like a dog.

"Holy hell." I whisper.

"Thank you Fangsy."

"I thought Lucas said they weren't overly intelligent."