Chapter Thirty-five - Scarlett

Lucas pulls me into the darkened ballroom, quietly shutting the door behind us.

"One week." he whispers pushing me against the wall kissing me. "One week until you are mine forever."

"I already am dumb arse."

"Charming." he mutters as he turns up the lights. "Here I was trying to be romantic and you just insult me."

"Aww poor baby." I playfully pout.

"Almost as good as your response to my suggestion of marriage. What was your response? Piss off?"

I grin trying not to laugh.

"Uh, I do remember that was right at the beginning, you had just shown me footage of what you did to my car. Wasn't very romantic anyway, you were just trying to get into my pants."

"Yes." he says with a cheeky smirk. "Didn't take too long to get there. I have something for you."

He tugs on my hand, leading me to the oversized glass doors that led out to a terraced garden. We sit on the edge of the garden bed, the lights dimly light the path along the edge of the building.

"Well actually, a couple of things. The first." he reaches into his pocket and pulls out a little box.

I open it, a very delicate, very old diamond ring sits inside the box.

"It was my grandmothers. She wants you to have it, she wants to see you wear it before she leaves."

"It was Lou's?" I gasp. "She's leaving?"

He nods a little sad.

"You are on your path now, you have turned."

He pulls it out of the box and slips it on my finger. I look at the monster rock sitting on my finger, set high above the band, the stone wrapped in very intricate filigree gold.

"They were married for a thousand years before a slayer got her."

"That's awful."

I knew it was, Lou is a wonderful woman, she is polite and thoughtful, she would do anything for you, if only she could touch things. The reality of being a ghost. He shrugs at my statement.

"You get used to it after a while."

"She isn't the only one you have lost to a slayer is she?"

I asked it but I dreaded his answer, I could tell his family had lost a few.

"Well let's see... both sets of grandparents, my mother's side went together, on my father's side my grandmother went first, then my grandfather, my mother has lost two older brothers, my father has lost an older brother and a sister, then there's our family."

Uh-oh, he's lost siblings. He let out a pained half laugh.

"When you asked how would I feel if someone did what I have done to you, how Zach or Gabriella would feel, it brought back a lot of old memories. Memories that I wished I could bury, wished that I never had them. Gabriella is a twin."

I wrap my arm around his, hoping to be of some comfort.

"Annabella and Gabriella."

I could see a tiny smile on his face.

"Her and Oliver, our brother, ambushed, both gone."

Oh crap. I climb into his lap and wrap my arms around him, not knowing what else I could do.

"That's where I go, searching for them. They both just vanished."

That is just awful, not knowing what happened to them. He pulls me against his body, resting his head on my chest.