Chapter Twenty - Lucas

I knew exactly where my grandmother was, in deep discussions with my parents about Zach and Candy. She had never seen someone with pink hair and was concerned about what qualities she possessed that would be worthy of the royal line. It didn't matter to Zach; I knew he was a stubborn pain in the arse. If my parents didn't approve he would go against their wishes and leave. I took the opportunity of their discussion to find my path into Scarlett's bed. She sleeps so peacefully when she is content. She doesn't talk in her sleep, she doesn't sleepwalk. Just sleep. The moonlight caressed her beautiful face and down to her nightdress. Her skin looked powder white in the glow of the light, so pale she could be mistaken for a vampire. I liked the way she looked in the moonlight, her skin was paler than during the day when it was a pale pink flesh colour. The full moon made the creatures more active, they roared their mating call which woke Scarlett. As she stood at the window, the moonlight made her even more intoxicating, the shadow of her stunning frame showing through the thin material. The room darkened as she closed the curtains, I took the opportunity to slip in behind her, pulling the dress from her shoulders, softly caressing her firm breasts. The beasts became rather distracting, every time they roared it gave her enough time to move away from me. She wanted to be chased and I gladly played along. Her heart beat gave her location away; I could find her within seconds.

The blood had soaked the lace of her nightdress, I was expecting her to crack and start yelling at me but she didn't. She was in a playful mood and when I put her into the freezing cold water to wash off the blood she gasped.

Lucas my father calls out to me as I kiss Scarlett. Kind of busy at the moment. Yes, we all know what you are up to, this is important. Zachary is going to be turning Candice tonight, I would like for you to be here to watch it, to learn how to do it. I stop kissing Scarlett and frown as I talk to my father. I've seen it before, I'm all good. Lucas, this is more important than getting your end in, come down here and learn it, you will need it for Scarlett. Fine I huff.

She pouts when I leave, giving her a lame excuse about the creatures. I didn't want to tell her that I was going to watch Candy turn. I didn't want her to think she could try and stop it. It wasn't about winning the bet; it was about what Candy wanted.

Candy's turn went perfectly. It was a textbook turn. And to make my life a living misery, she willing wanted this life. The complete opposite to Scarlett. Yet again Zach has everything handed to him with ease. No arguments, no empathy for human life, no torment. She wanted this because she knew that a life with Zach was what she really wanted. It was sickening to watch them be all cutsie and cuddly after only a short time knowing each other. And here I was after all this time, still seemingly getting nowhere with Scarlett and it was a constant tug-of-war with her emotions. One minute she loved me, affectionate and playful, the next it was like I was the devil himself and she hated me. It was a daily struggle with Scarlett, just to keep her in a good mood. I knew I was no better, still struggling with the knowledge that Oliver and Annabella are out there somewhere. If they are still alive or if they are dead, we don't know. It kills me to think they might be dead but the rational part of my mind whispers to me that maybe it might be better to be dead than alive, being tortured. Because if they were alive, that is what would be happening to them. Slayers were ruthless, it tore at me to think of what might be happening to them if they were being held captive.

I left the lovebirds to their sickening display of love and gushing to each other on the lounge, the pangs of jealousy too much for me. Scarlett had returned to bed, fast asleep. The curtains were still closed tight, the room dark but that meant nothing to me, I could still see easily. As I crawled into bed, I realised that she had removed the night dress, obviously because it was wet. She woke, rolling over onto her side.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you."

"It's ok." she yawned "Did you get the beasts?"

"Oh yeah." I half laughed "All good. Why didn't you put on more bed clothes?"

She giggled as she reached across the bed in the dark, pulling me closer. God I love playful Scarlett.

All of my jealousy over Zach and Candy washed away the very second Scarlett lifted my shirt from my body. She wanted me, I could tell that she did like being here but it was the struggle between her old life, the memories, missing her family and her love for me that was causing problems. I wish that I could tell her everything but the stupid ruling from the council about humans was the biggest pain in the arse. My mind snapped back to the moment, the searing kiss from Scarlett's lips on my chest was driving me crazy. Her hands moved lower, trailing long lines of lingering heat. I pulled her onto my body, straddling me over my half undone jeans. Kissing her desperately, needing her to want me as much as I want her. Her arms wrapped around me tight, one hand at the base of my neck the other trailing softly over my back, tickling me. I grinned in between the soft kisses, enjoying her affection.

"Forever?" she whispered as her fingers trailed over my jaw to my lips, planting one soft little kiss.

"Forever and a day, so long as you are with me, my life is perfect."