Chapter Twenty-four - Lucas

If I had ever thought she looked beautiful before, I was mistaken. When I walked out of the reception room and saw her standing in the entry I was blown away. Before me was a divine creature that stopped me in my tracks. I was lost for words as I stared at her. Her hair curled, pure black with a lustrous shine, the dress that hugged her glorious body. She teetered in a pair of heels that I would give anything and everything to have laying on my bedroom floor tomorrow morning. A smirk curled into her glossy pout, her eyes smouldered a lust at me that told me I would have her tonight. There was only one thing that would stop us, my grandmother and her archaic ways, never before marriage.

As Scarlett and I danced around the ballroom, I could hear my father helping my grandmother into the cellar, even over Gabriella barking out the steps. My grandmother needed the more controlled temperature now that she was beginning to fade. Time was running out and Scarlett was taking too long to turn. I know that my grandmother has spent her days here talking to Scarlett, trying to help her with this, but it was a slow process. Scarlett is a stubborn one, making it hard for my grandmother. Something had to be done, a plan had to be formulated, get everyone in on it to try and get her there.

As the guests arrived, I could hear Zach up to something. He had obviously heard my thoughts about formulating a plan and had been in discussions with my father. They had developed a plan and Zach had gone to the cellar to discuss it with our grandmother, who apparently approved. The plan was to try and make Scarlett jealous, which I knew wouldn't work. Zach huffed at me. Of course it isn't going to work, all part of the master plan Lucas, just go with the flow and trust me, after all, my methods work. He was right, he had gotten it right the last time, why did I have reason to doubt him? And after all, he had something to gain from her turning too, Candy could return to the estate. Until Scarlett turns, he has to go to her, which with his schooling and her trying to deal with the mess of Scarlett's disappearance, it didn't give him a lot of time with Candy.

Scarlett had noticed the row of women watching from the side lines, the sneers that were being shot at her, the comments that thankfully she couldn't hear. They wondered why I showed little interest in them. It had been the same for all of these events, the women watching were always bitchy about the one that was lucky enough to be in my arms. They forget that the whole room can hear their words and I would have serious words with them if there was even the slightest chance that Scarlett would have heard it. All they cared about was becoming queen. They didn't care about me, it was the money and the status. But Scarlett was different, she didn't know that I was royalty and I'll bet the entire kingdom that she wouldn't care either. I don't even know how these women managed to get an invitation, this I was going to have to have words with my father about. But not tonight, tonight was about them and their love, trying to forget the sad past for a brief moment in time. My mother was pregnant again, how many children would come from this pregnancy we didn't know just yet but she was ecstatic. I knew she had wanted another child ever since Zach became a teenager, no longer her baby.

Then there was the divine woman in my arms and how well she took the news. She pretended that it didn't hurt but I could see through the mask. I had found the thoughts long ago, before she had figured out how to block her mind. She wanted children, she longed for the feeling of creating a child and carrying it, the pain of birth then to hold the little baby in her arms. Watching her children grow up, teaching them things, taking them places across the world. It was one of the reasons she threw herself into her career, devoting her life to her fans, trying to wash away the pain of her inability to conceive. Scarlett had watched some of her friends have children, feeling the crushing defeat of it, eventually losing contact with them intentionally on her part. She couldn't handle seeing her friends happy with their children and thought it was better to say goodbye then to hate them for something that was a natural course of events in their lives. It was a big part of why Candy and her were so close, Candy always held the view that she would be in her thirties before she even thought about having a child. But now that had changed too. Zach and Candy were already talking about their future and it included having children as soon as they could.