Chapter Twenty-one - Scarlett

In the morning I walk into the kitchen, finding Candy and Zach sitting at the table, giggling like a pair of children. He pulls her long pink hair back and whispers something into her ear, she grins like I have never seen her grin. Then I see it, a fang. Shit. She has turned. Damn it! I lost the bet.

"Morning." I say finally deciding to step out from the shadows.

Zach sits upright in the chair, almost freaking out. I cannot help but chuckle.

"Made a decision, did we?"

Candy nods with the stupidest grin on her face. I'd never seen this Candy before. This was serious, it had to be love.

"My parents approve." Zach grins.

"But we are going to wait until you turn eighteen, right?" she says looking at him.

"Yes." Zach groans. "You realise that I have had sex before right?"

"I don't care, I just don't think it's right, you can wait a few weeks."

"A few weeks?"

Zach nods at me.

"I have put in a request for my favourite artist to play at my birthday party. Just waiting for the management to get back to me."

"That would depend on the future Zachary."

I jump not hearing Lucas sneaking up from behind.

"Did you see what happened last night Scarlett?" he said smugly.

"Yeah, I saw the fang."

He looks at me with still with a smug attitude. You know what he's thinking. You lost the bet, you owe him, what did he ask for? Me, always me.

The days passed with a blur, it was absolute bliss having Candy here to talk to. Saturday rolled around very fast which was very sad for me. She would be leaving tomorrow. Even though she had turned, she was still leaving. I don't know why, no one would explain it to me. I thought she would want to be here with Zach. It was depressing to watch them leave Saturday night, she seemed so happy, both of them giggling. I stood by the window and watched the car leave. How lucky she is, allowed to leave. I wipe the tears away, out of the corner of my eye I see a figure. At the door is Henry, quietly watching me. He says nothing as he turns and walks away. I silently follow him, wondering why he said nothing to me. He entered the lounge, where Lucas was with Gabriella.

"You are going to send her insane, you realise that?"

"What's wrong with her now?"

"Gee Lucas, let's see, watching her best friend leave the estate when she can't."

"What do you want me to do? You know why it has to be this way."

"Tell her."

"Oh puh-lease Dad, Terrance would have a complete meltdown if he found out I told her. Do I really need to be reprimanded by the grand council?"

Who is Terrance? Tell me what?

"Well then maybe you should go and deal with her and the tears that are shed because she doesn't understand why."

"But what am I supposed to tell her?" he snaps at his father.

He had sat further on the lounge, turning to face his father he saw me standing there, hearing the whole conversation. My face said nothing, not sadness, not confusion, not anger. I said nothing to him as I passed the doors and fled up the stairs. Knowing he would follow I turned to the right rather than the left to my bedroom. I watched as he walked into my room, expecting me to be in there.