Chapter Thirty-one - Lucas

It was the worst and the best day of my life, all rolled into one day. The morning was a complete nightmare. As it started, Zach's words rung through my head over and over again. Keep your cool, don't freak out. You need to be level headed when she needs to be turned. What did he mean by it?

Scarlett was in a bad mood. A seriously bad mood. It didn't help the way that I was with her, cold to her emotions, but what else could I say to her? She didn't want me near her, she wanted to be alone and it hurt. All I wanted to do was hold her and tell her that it was going to be ok, everything that was happening, was happening for a reason. But I couldn't tell her anything. When I left her in the shower my grandmother was waiting in the bedroom.

Wait here, with me. She whispered in my mind. Scarlett turned the water off, I could hear the sadness in her mind as she dried herself. I looked over at my grandmother who was doing something rather strange. Her mouth was moving but there were no words, not speaking out loud, not to me, just her mouth moving. I frowned at her and she raised her hand, one finger up, gesturing for me to be quiet. After a few seconds of listening to the horrendous words running through Scarlett's mind, I knew it was my grandmother speaking to her, I knew what Scarlett was about to do. My heart sank and I felt like I wanted to be sick, she was going to try and kill herself. I was about to enter the robe to stop her when something held me back. It was Zach, his face stern as he shook his head. He knew. He must have seen this, so long ago. The tears rolled down my cheeks as he whispered to me.

Keep it together, you will need to turn her in a moment. He disappeared as he moved to the doorway of the robe, watching and waiting.

"Ok go now, fast." he says as he reappears, moving out of the way.

It was hard to keep it together, there was blood everywhere, Scarlett was on the floor, passed out, nearly dead. For the first time ever, my heart beat a different beat. Normally it would beat once or twice a day, if I was lucky. Now it was beating faster, what seemed like once every thirty seconds and it was a hard beat. It was painful, like it was being ripped out of me.

I grabbed the scissors cutting a clean line, holding it to her mouth, then taking her wrist I drank from the wound. My love was dying and she wasn't drinking.

"Come on Scarlett, drink." I beg through the tears that still flow.

Her eyes fly open and stare at me. It wounded me but I had to accept it, if she hated me for the rest of her life then so be it, so long as she was alive it didn't matter. My heart was already in pieces, what was a few more pieces splintering inside of me. The look on her face was awful, I knew that she was angry at me, I could see the hatred in her eyes.

"Get off me." she hisses as she moves away from me.

The realisation hits her as she wipes the blood from her lips.

"What have you done?"

"You were dying."

She winces as she grips her stomach, the turning has begun. About bloody time my father groans from somewhere in the house.

"Hold on, it won't take long." I whisper to her as I run my fingers through her wet hair.

Her heart beats faster and faster as the turning continues to rush through her body. The tears slide out of the corners of her eyes. As her heart stops she gasps, her body arches up off the carpet and then thumps back down, her eyes closing as she passes out.

"Well done old man." Zach slaps my back as he kneels beside her head.

I wipe away the tears from my cheeks as he checks her over. So authoritarian for a seventeen-year-old, he has always been older than his age.