Chapter 7; Rides

Johnny's POV

It's been several days since I last saw everyone. I've been going to the science center most everyday. Gathering more and more information.

Today as I made my way over to the science center I see Mackenzie. She's walking on the sidewalk.

"Mackenzie!" I shout.

She turns and sees me. She smiled and walks over to the car.

"Hey Johnny haven't seen you in a few days," Kenzie states, leaning her head into the window.

"Yes, I was just thinking that," I say. "Do you need a ride to work?" I ask.

"Well, I'm not going to work. I'm going down to the park, I'm meeting up with Brandon. If you wouldn't mind, if it's not out of your way-"

"I don't mind get in," I sighed.

She smiled and gets in the passengers seat. I start to drive off when she has her seatbelt on.

"So how've you been sweetie?" Kenzie asks.

"Sweetie?" I question.

"You just seem very, fragile. Is it okay if I call you that?" Mackenzie asked.

"Um, well, if you'd like. It's not my preference, but, if you like it I won't mind," I say.

She smiled at me.

"Well I've been gathering research and just mostly going to the science center. How've you been?"

"I've been alright. Could be better," Mackenzie answers.

"Why do you say that?"

She sighs and looks at me, "maybe now isn't the best time to tell you everything sweetie."

I just nodded. I look ahead at the road while it's quiet in the car.

"Why do you do that?" Kenzie asked.

"Do what?" I question.

"The thing with your hand. Tapping each finger to your thumb and stuff," Kenzie elaborated.

I nodded and looked down for a split second. Seeing I'm doing exactly what she just said and look back at the road.

"It's a compulsive thing. I do it when I'm stressed, or I don't quite understand something or sometimes when I'm nervous," I explained.

"Oh, what are you now?" Mackenzie asked.

"I don't know if I am being honest. I'm not quite stressed and from the research I am gathering, I am understanding everything. And I am certainly not nervous. So this is quite peculiar," I explained.

"Well whatever it is, I hope it gets better John," Kenzie said, giving a gentle smile.

I smiled back weakly and pulled up to the park. "Here you go," I say turning to her.

"Thank you so much sweetie!" She said.

She goes to hug me but stops. "I forgot. The whole no touching thing," she states.

I nodded.

"Will we ever be able to touch you?" Mackenzie questioned. "Not in a dirty way obviously. But, you know what I mean."

I pondered for a moment. "There may be a day at some point where, I will feel comfortable with that. Until then though, no touching. Unless I give permission," I explain.

She nods, "well thank you for the ride. I'll see you around," she says, exiting the car.

I drive off and head to the science center. Where I park in my usual spot and walk inside. I head to the lab and I do my usual routine. Lab coat on, gloves on, and start observing.