Chapter 35; Can We Talk?

Johnny's POV

"Are you fucking serious?! How can someone so smart be so fucking stupid?!" Lauren shouts.

"I did it because, I figured once everyone realized I wasn't going to remember they'd give up. I'd go back to my original self and everything was the way it used to be. Mackenzie could have Brandon, I have the science center and the lab and everything that I need. Everyone would just go their separate ways," I explain.

"John, my sister has been crying her eyes out for days. She really thinks you don't remember her and that you don't remember you love her. John she loves you," Maddie explains.

"Correction loved. If she did love me, she wouldn't have kissed Brandon," I say bitterly.

"John, Brandon kissed Mackenzie. Mackenzie didn't kiss Brandon. We were there and saw it happen. You just saw it after the fact. Mackenzie rejected Brandon so fast when he asked to have her back," Brynn explains.

"John Mackenzie loves you and only you. Not Brandon," Annie says.

By now, they're all sat around the room. The girls sitting next to me. Boys across and the older girls, just in the back.

I sighed and looked down at the ground. I didn't realize all the damage that would be done if I did this. I just wanted what was best for me. What I wanted.

"She's been blaming herself this whole time, thinking she's the reason all this happened," Carson says.

I sighed, "does she really miss me?" I ask.

They nodded, "I've never seen Mackenzie this miserable before. And I've been her best friend since we were four. John, I can't believe I am saying this but, I'm happy you were dating my best friend. You made Mackenzie happier than I've seen her in a long time," Lauren explains.

"She says how when she's with you she knows who she is. Like she's more than just a party girl. That with you around, everything's aligned and in check. John, for once I can say I approve of a boy for my sister," Maddie states.

I nod and stand up, grabbing my crutches I make my way to the front door.

"Where are you going Johnny?" Kendall questions.

I turn back at them and smiled, "to get the girl."

-

Mackenzie's working today, so Carson and everyone drove down to her job. She's almost out which is good. Maybe we can do something together after. But, I'm going to get her back.

I use my crutches and make my way inside. Not seeing Mackenzie out serving, I figured she was in the back.

"Can I see Mackenzie?" I ask the hostess.

She nods giving me a soft smile, then going to the back to get her. After several minutes passed, she returns with Mackenzie with her.

"John?" Mackenzie asked. "What are you doing here?"

"I need to tell you something Mackenzie. You're probably going to hate me but, this is important," I explain.

"You said my name. You remember who I am," Mackenzie smiled, wrapping her arms around me.

I sighed and closed my eyes. And wrap one arm around her. "I could never forget," I muttered. "I never did."

"What?" Mackenzie asks, pulling away from me. Looking up at me.

"Mackenzie, I need to tell you something. You're probably going to be mad, but, can we sit?" I ask.

She nodded and lead me off to the side. She helped me sit down and moves my crutches off to the side. Sitting down next to me, I grab her hand and hold it. The first time ever I didn't feel uncomfortable.

"What's wrong?" She asked concerned.

I take a deep breath and turn to her. "I never had amnesia. I faked it."

Her face dropped. Eyes full of betrayal. I felt so bad, I lied to her.

"Why?" She questioned.

"Because, I wanted to forget. I was hoping that everyone would just give up. Things would go back to normal. I could be the person I was before I met you and everyone. While everyone else just did their own thing. I didn't want to face it. But, I can't go on without thinking about you," I explain.

Mackenzie nods and looks forward. I sighed and turned to her head towards me.

"You've taught me a lot of things Mackenzie. You changed my perspective on life in a major way. In a lot of ways. You've changed me, you fill my mind most of the time and you do so much for me. You make me feel like I am normal. You made me feel a lot of different things, I can't help but to smile when I see, think or hear about you. You may not like yourself, but I like you. I love you. You mean the world to me. Well, I finally read my grandfathers letter. He said Knowing is nice. Knowing reassures us what will happen. But, we won't know everything. We won't know when we will get hurt, we won't know when we will fail, and we won't know when we fall in love. Sometimes when it's too late. As much as we like knowing, not knowing is apart of life. That's what life is. Not knowing. Staying in our shell and sheltered from everything, that isn't life. So live life not knowing. Have fun. Experience life and enjoy your life. I realized that you made me realize that. I lived in a world full of science and logic. Knowing everything, getting irritated when I didn't know. You changed that for me. You made me realize not knowing is apart of life. You got me out of my shell. When I saw you kissing Brandon I was upset. That's why I faked my amnesia. I was afraid to remember."

She looks up at me and wraps her arms around me. I hugged her back and held her tightly. After several minutes, we let go.

"Just hold my hand and close your eyes. You'll be fine," Mackenzie whispers.

Hey guys this is the last chapter of Grey Matter. I will be posting the epilogue soon. I hope you guys enjoyed it bc I loved writing this story and it's honestly one of my favorites.

Stay tooned for the epilogue

Bye loves xoxo