Chapter 16; Team

Johnny's POV

I reluctantly went to the daycare program today. I dreaded this day with a passion. I didn't want to do this, yet I was convinced by Mackenzie to do it.

Currently I'm in the car with Mackenzie, Lauren, Carson and Jacob. They keep rambling on about something that I am obviously not paying any attention to, as it is unimportant to me.

I pulled up to the building and observe it for a moment. It's a tan building with colorful lettering on the side stating it's name. Next to it is a fenced in playground.

The playground containing the usual slide, swings, seesaw, etc.

I park the car and stay seated for a moment. I breathe in and out with my eyes closed. I don't like children and I do not like public speaking. I can do it, I just chose not to because it's not a preferred thing of mine.

"You ready John?" Mackenzie asked.

I turned to her and nod hesitantly. I turn the car off and exit, going around to the trunk and opening it. I grab out one of the boxes I had to do an experiment with the children.

Jacob grabbed the other box while Hayden closed the trunk for us. We walked to the front and entered with the girls holding the door open.

"Hi how may I help you?" The lady at the front desk asked.

"We're here to teach the children science," I state.

She nods and gives us volunteer stickers. She escorts us to the classroom and there's children gathered on the floor.

"Here we'll go set this up, you get up there and teach," Maddie says.

I nodded hesitantly and turned around. I'm still standing in the back of the class. I scan the room from behind. There are approximately 30 kids here. However there could be more in the bathroom. There's a range from 4-8 years of age within the children.

Hesitantly I walk up to the front of the room after I was introduced by one of the teachers. I stand in front of the small children now, growing more anxious and jittery.

I know it's just a large group of small children. It's plain and simple, nothing much to worry about. Yet, the thing that gets me is it's a LARGE group of them. Thirty kids, meaning two eyes each child, meaning sixty eyes, or thirty pairs of eyes not including the teachers or my friends who are "setting up."

Eyes are the window to the soul, honestly though I don't see anything in their eyes. Just boredom.

"So kids, as your teacher said, my name is John, or as everyone calls me, Johnny Orlando. Today, I was asked to teach you guys about what I study with Dr. Miller," I explain.

I look at them and see some are intrigued. While others aren't so much.

"Does anyone know what the brain is?" I ask.

Multiple hands shoot up into the air, I pointed towards one little boy who had spiked hair, a grey shirt with a basketball player on it and red basketball shorts when matching shoes.

"What's your name?" I ask.

"Hunter," the boy responds.

I smiled weakly, "Hunter, what is the brain?"

"I-It's s-something in your head that makes you smart!" Hunter replied confidently.

I chuckled a bit and as do my friends, "yes the brain is in your head, but, what you learn is what makes you smart."

Mackenzie walks up next to me and smiled. "What are you doing?" I mumbled.

"Helping you," she replied.

She turns to the children and smiled big. "Okay kids, stand up," Kenzie says. The children did as told and stood up.

"Now, run in place," Kenzie said. The children ran in place as instructed.

"Now, stop. Now do jumping jacks."

Just like that they stopped what they had been previously doing and started to do jumping jacks.

"Now stop. Now wave your arms in the air and sing the ABC's," Kenzie instructed.

They did so. The room got loud really fast. I watched as the children followed the instructions given to them from Mackenzie.

"Now stop and sit back down," Kenzie said.

Once they were all settled they look up at us, ready to learn.

"All the stuff you just did was because of your brain," Mackenzie says. "But, I'm not the scientist here. So I'll let Johnny here explain."

I shot Mackenzie a glare before returning back to the class, "well your brain is in charge of a lot of things in your body. I tells the body when to move, what to say, how to speak, what you're hearing and or seeing, the brain does a lot," I explain.

"Does the brain control everything?" A young girl asked.

"Not everything," I answer. I placed my hand on my chest. Over my heart, "place your hand over your heart," I say.

They do so, and look up at me.

"Your heart isn't controlled by your brain. It's actually the other way around. The heart controls the brain in a way," I explain.

"What do you mean?" A little boy asked.

"Well you see the heart, pumps blood all throughout the body. Without blood supply, the brain can't function properly. When that happens, you can't really do much," I explain as simply as possible.

"So it's like a team?" Hunter asked.

I looked at him and smiled. "Ya, it's like a team."

-

I sat on the bench looking out at the playground. The experiment is going to be done after recess. Therefore we have to stay longer.

"You did very good John," Mackenzie says, sitting next to me.

"You did too," I smile.

"Well what can I say, we make a great team," Kenzie smiled.

Here's the new chapter. I hoped you guys liked it.

Not much to really say rn. I'm a little sick with some stomach problems.

Anyhow I'm writing a few stories but I don't know which to write but I'll figure it out I guess lol.

Get this chapter to 100 votes and 30 comments.

Bye loves xoxo