Chapter 17; Sunsets

Johnny's POV

I enter the living room. Surprised to see Mackenzie sitting on the couch. She looks up and smiled at me.

"Hi John," Mackenzie greets.

"Hello Mackenzie," I greeted taking a seat next to her. "May I ask why are you here so early?"

"I was sleeping over last night and Lauren's still asleep," Mackenzie responded.

I nodded and stand up, turning towards her. "Would you like some breakfast?" I offer.

Kenzie nodded and joins me into the kitchen. I go into the pantry and grab some bagels, popping them into the toaster.

"Would you like a coffee or something?"

"Just water please," Kenzie said shyly.

I nodded and got her a cup of water doing the same for myself. I sit down at the counter and twiddle my thumbs awkwardly. Mackenzie sat there on her phone texting.

"Want to go the beach today?" Mackenzie offered.

I shake my head, "sadly I'm going to decline. You know how much I dislike the beach," I say.

She gives me a look and laughs. "Come on John! Please!" Kenzie begged.

"Kenzie I don't think it is the right place for me. Especially because of Brandon," I explain.

"John, you can ignore Brandon. Besides he's out of town for the day. So it's just us," Mackenzie explains.

"Still Mackenzie, I am still the odd ball out of everyone. I don't think it's great for me to go to the beach with everyone."

"You went with us like two weeks ago! Come on John! Please!" Kenzie begged.

I groaned knowing she won't stop begging me. "Fine I'll go."

-

I pulled up and parked the car. Everyone runs out with everything we had packed. Coolers, towels, pool noodles, floats, etc.

I groaned and walk out with them. I follow them to where they wanted to sit. We set everything down and put out the towels and chairs.

Everyone runs out to the ocean while I stay behind. I sit in the chair looking out at the ocean and the people. Squinting because the sun was in my eyes.

I watched as everyone enjoyed themselves. Enjoyed the beach, and the water and the sand. While I... I just sat there. Coming up with equations in my head to solve.

"John."

I look up and see Mackenzie standing in front of me. She's wearing a black and teal bikini, her hair is already wet and dripping with the salty water.

"Yes Mackenzie?"

"Are you coming into the water?" Mackenzie asked.

I shake my head no.

She groans and takes a seat next to me. "How many times do I have to tell you, we like having you here!" Mackenzie exclaims.

"No, I know that. It's just, when I was younger, I had gone to the beach with my family and I almost drowned to death in the tide. Also there's an average of sixteen shark attacks a year in the US. It may seem low, but I'd prefer not to be one of them," I explain.

Mackenzie nods and gives me a look. Knowing what the look means, I nod. Allowing her to place her hand on my knee.

"John, forget about the sharks. You're going to be fine. And plus, now you're bigger. You won't drown in the tide. I promise, now please come with us," Mackenzie begged.