Chapter 23; The Next Day

Johnny's POV

I wake up and immediately hiss and squint my eyes. The light hurting my head more than it was moments ago. I groaned and sat up.

I look around the room and observe my surroundings. I am in my room, nobody else is here. Just me. I don't remember much from last night. Which is a bad sign.

I get up and shower. Feeling much better when I get out I dressed and take an Advil to ease my headache.

I walk downstairs and hear some commotion going on. Walking into the kitchen I see Lauren, Kenzie, Brynn, Annie, Carson, Hayden and Jacob.

It would've been easier to say the group from last night, but, not everyone is here. I take a seat next to Lauren after I grabbed myself a muffin from the plate.

"May I ask, does anyone remember last night?" I question.

"Bits and pieces," Jacob answered.

"Same," everyone agreed.

"I remember a lot of drinking. Then Brandon leaving at some point, and a shit load of fireworks," Carson states.

I nodded remembering the things he had mentioned. The thing that made me smile was the fact Brandon had left. I wish could remember why or what even happened. Unfortunately I can't.

"Well, I am going to be at the science center, so I will see you all later," I say, standing up and exiting my house.

I drive the twenty minutes from my house to the science center and park the car. I head up to the lab and enter gratefully.

"Hello Doctor Miller," I say taking a seat.

"Hello Johnny," she greets. "How was your Fourth of July?"

"It was good. We went to beach and lit a bunch of fireworks. How was yours?" I ask.

"Very good. But, yours sounds more interesting than mine. Tell more," Dr. Miller says.

"Well, I wish I could. But, I find that cannot recollect some of the night," I responded.

"What do you mean?" She questioned.

"Well, it seems that I had consumed some alcohol last night as well as my friends. I am finding it very difficult to recollect the time after the first few drinks," I explain.

"Well, what is it that you remember," Dr. Miller asks, taking a seat.

I take a deep breath and begin to think. I try to remember any of the events from last night. "There was a lot of drinking and fireworks," I state.

"Is there anything else?" She asked.

I shrugged, still trying to think of anything else from last night.

"You remember the effects alcohol has on the brain. Correct John?" Dr. Miller questioned.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes, "I've known it since I was six. It slows down motor skills, impairs judgement, memory lapses, that's just to name a few."

"Very good. At least you know the effects," Dr. Miller states.

She continues on about something. Yet, this time I don't bother to listen. I'm racking my mind, trying to remember anything from last night.

Flashback

"John!" Hayden shouts, stumbling over to me. He wraps his arm around me and we both start wobbling around.

"W-what's up Hayden?" I slurred.

"Jug this down," Hayden says, handing me a can of beer.

I take it without thinking and chug it down fast. When I finished, I crushed it up and threw it behind me.

We both laughed and stumbled over to Jacob, who was trying to light a sparkler. The girls are somewhere around here, and Brandon, well Brandon is standing in the back observing.

"J-John h-help me light this," Jacob insisted, handing me the lighter.

I take it and fiddle with the light. Trying to get it to light. Failing each time I try to light it. Every time it just sparks and that's it.

After several attempts I finally get it to light and the sparkler goes off. I jumped back and we all started laughing.

Suddenly someone spins me around. I see it's Mackenzie.

"Hello John," she says drunkenly.

"Hello Mackenzie."

"Lets dance," she insisted.

Without thinking about Brandon I do so. We start dancing like idiots and everyone joins us. I spun Mackenzie and dipped her.

Looking into each other's eyes we start to lean in.

End of Flashback

My eyes widened. Everything I couldn't remember, I remembered. I know why Brandon left.

It's because I kissed Mackenzie.

Hey guys it's me sorry I'm just taking a break from writing rn. I have a lot of stuff going on right now and I'm just stressed so all the stories I planned to write is on pause for now.

Thanks for the reads loves.