Chapter 31; Why?

Johnny's POV

I walk into the lab with my lab coat on. It's been two weeks since Santa Monica. It was fun, the Sunday we did Disneyland for a few hours then went home. Nothing too special.

Today, I decided to visit Dr. Miller. Do some research with her. Then after, I'm going to Mackenzie's house with everyone. We're having another get together.

"How are you doing today John?" Dr. Miller greets.

"I am great. How are you Dr. Miller?" I say taking a seat next to her.

"I'm doing very well. I noticed you have quite the spring in your step lately, those kids are really changing you," Dr. Miller states.

"Well, they've made me more social if that's what you mean."

She smiled and nodded, "well it's nice to see you're getting along with them. That must be nice to talk to peers your age," Dr. Miller says.

"It very much is. It took a lot of getting used to but, it is a nice change," I explained.

She nodded and placed out her hand, I handed her a scalpel and watched her carve out a piece of the brain. A gland that's located in the center.

I watched as she placed it on the tray and set it aside.

"So John, were planning on working with monkeys soon. We finally got the money to do so, would you like to participate in it?" Dr. Miller asked.

"Sounds interesting, go on," I said.

"Well, we'd train them to do certain things and develop certain habits like smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol. Then deprive them from it and see how they react and what not," Dr. Miller elaborates.

I ponder for a moment and nodded, "sounds very intriguing. I am in."

She smiled and looks up, "very well. I'll give you more information when it gets closer."

"Very well," I smiled.

-

I was the last to arrive at the Ziegler house. My sister has spent the whole day with Mackenzie, as well as Brynn and Annie. The guys got there an hour ago, I'm just now getting here because I lost track of time at the lab.

As I walked inside, knowing the door was unlocked as usual, I hear some arguing going on. I grow concerned about the fact my friends were arguing.

I continue down the hallway and into the living room. Understanding why there's arguing. My heart dropped to my stomach, shattering in millions of pieces.

"What's going on?!" I shout.

Everyone turns and sees me, a sympathetic look on their faces. All except for one evil grin and one jaw drop.

"Sweetie it's-"

"What is it then Mackenzie? Because it looks like you and Brandon were kissing," I countered.

"John he-" Carson began.

"No! I should've known this was all fake. Cause why would people like you be friends with someone like me. It was all a hoax!"

"Johnny listen Brandon-" Lauren starts.

"Face it dude. None of them were your friends. Mackenzie was only using you to make me jealous," Brandon grinned.

I felt tears brim my eye lids. Don't let them see you cry. The rule I made when I was being bullied. Crying shows that you're weak, that they have gotten to you. I will certainly not let him get to me. As for everyone else though, they already did.

Mackenzie's in tears now, she can't stop crying. "Johnny, don't listen to him he's lying," Mackenzie explains walking over to me.

She grabs a hold of my arm. I quickly jerk away from her.

"Don't touch me!"

"Johnny, please, this isn't you," Brynn says.

"Actually this is me. This is me. You don't know me. I greatly despise being touched, I feel uncomfortable in any sort of shorts or tank tops or whatever! I hate the outdoors, I am uncomfortable and greatly, with a burning passion hate change and I am a loner. A certified LONER!" I explain. "You only like the me, you created."

"That's not true John," Jacob says.

"Really? So let me ask, if I was the same John you met at the beginning of summer, would you have still talked to me? Would you have wanted to spend time with me, and do all the things we've done the past few weeks?" I question.

They stayed quiet for a moment. Before the could even respond, I laughed bitterly.

"My point exactly. If i hadn't been forced to come by Mackenzie, my life would've been peaceful! Exactly how I liked it before. Yet, you had to go screw it up! Screw all of it up! I can't believe I let myself be this stupid, for someone who has an IQ of two hundred."

"Johnny please believe me, I didn't kiss him," Kenzie says slowly.

"Why should I believe you? Probably everything you've said to me was just a lye anyways."

I turn on my heel and go to exit the house. Everyone following behind me.

"John, where are you going?" Hayden asks.

"Anywhere," I responded.

I go to cross the street, since my car was parked on the other side. All I hear was a horn then everything went black.