Chapter 37: Partial?

Evelyn's POV

There was an awkward silence with Nick and Riccardo looking at each other. No more glares. They were both looking like fools.

"Any mutual enemies?" I asked. Again, they gave a blank stare. "So, I believe you are not going to fight anymore?... Gosh! Stop giving me that blank stare!"

Riccardo stared at us both and I moved closer to Nick, he pinned me with his eyes and when he knew that I wouldn't be forced into submitting to him, he gave a nod and stood up buttoning his now torn suit jacket. "I'll leave for now. I'll come and pick you later Evelyn." He smiled. He smiled!

"You're not taking her anywhere-" Ugh!

"Nick! Stop it now! Aah..." I turned to convince Riccardo, but he already nodded with understanding and left.

"Why did you leave the mansion?" He asked once I turned to look at him.

With a huff, I walked out of the house and threw the key at him. "Lock the door."

I sat in my car and watched him pull my suitcase behind him, locking the door. He glared at me again and pulled my door open. "Go sit in that car." He pointed at his.

"No! I'm not leaving my car here!" He rubbed his eyebrow a few times and Mark came and whispered something into his ear. I searched for Chrissy who was sitting inside the other car. Nick nodded to whatever he said and came to sit beside me on the driver's seat.

There was so much to talk, so much to resolve between us. But I waited until our house came into sight. He waited for me to lead the way to our room, as he followed behind me. I'm sure that was just so he could see that I'm not going anywhere. Running away again.
'Come to think of it now. It was a very tiring day' I thought and let my head hit the pillow and closed my eyes.

A few minutes later, I felt the bedside dip and someone pulling my body into their side. The familiar touch pulled a hand below my head and kissed my temple. "You're awake?" He asked.

"Mhmm.." I murmured as he chuckled at my reply. I almost fell asleep until I felt a warm, wet liquid drop on my cheek. "Nick?" I called out looking at his face with tears spilling out of his eyes. "Nick... honey..." I sat up to hug him. "Why... are you alright?" I asked. He never looked this sad... bewildered... so angered.

"All this time I thought it was that man who killed my sister. My pregnant sister. Eve... Eve... my parents knew about her love affair with him. It was our grandparents who had a spat with each other at some meeting and we... we never.... our families never connected, and we tried to stay out of each other's ways. But I don't know how it all started between them but my parents never intervened thinking if it makes her happy then there's nothing to worry about. She had got us all to promise to do nothing to each other no matter what. It was almost like she knew something was going to happen. And all this time I blamed him... An-and I couldn't get to the bastard who killed her!"

"Nick! It's alright... we know now. We'll find out who it is." Trust me! I'm not really good at consoling anyone.

His tears had stopped, it wasn't pain or sadness. It was his frustration that he failed to do anything until now. "She was really happy to have her baby." He chuckles remembering something, "she was determined that she'll get her Riccardo to finally propose marriage. I feel... like... it was a curse which is why we lost our baby." He had a far-off look.

He reminded me of my loss which I didn't want to face at this moment.
"I lost my twin and I was so scared when I thought we lost our baby, our first child, that too so soon after I got to know about it." He chuckled bitterly.

I didn't have anything to say to him. Did I forget to tell him that my babies are both fine? That we have two babies? Both are safe and we didn't lose any?
I slightly turned away from him, which he was quick to notice as he held my hand and looked into my eyes. "I'm sorry babe. If it weren't for me, you wouldn't have gone through that accident. We still would've had our two babies with us." He said burying his face in my belly and with a kiss he got up wiping his face clear of any tear. He didn't look like the man who just cried a few seconds ago.