Chapter 38: Questions.

Evelyn's POV

I woke up to find Nick glaring at Rand who had come with a breakfast tray. Had I not guessed before! That I see something strange in Rand.

"You may leave now... I know about you now. You work for him."

"Now that we know... I think it's fine." I tried to convince him.

"Actually, I worked as a cook at the Salvatore's... I know how to work with a knife and a gun." He looked really uncomfortable having this conversation.

"Great!" I took the tray from his hand and shooed him out of the room. "So, you'll continue to work here." I said and closed the door on him. Only that I didn't see Nick fuming behind me. I waited and waited for him to say something... I could see the nerve on his jaw working. I looked at him, waiting for him to say something... but he just picked up his suit jacket and left the room.

"I'll be back late at night." I heard him scream behind my shoulders.

Sure... like I'm going to wait up for you! Huh! I don't understand why I got this man as my husband.

***

With a heavy breakfast in my tummy, which was now making me regret since I feel queasy. And with a key in my hand, I got down the stairs and walked to my car.

"Sorry ma'am, you cannot leave." Oliver stepped in front of me. I raised my eyebrows at him regarding the way he addressed me. "Sir's orders." He pursed his lips asking me to understand his position. "Should you want to go anywhere... I am to come along."

I thought about it for a moment. It won't really be a problem if he followed me everywhere. I'm only going to work. "Alright." I replied. He led me towards a car and opened the door for me. 'How sweet!' My husband rarely does that for me.

***

She went straight to her office room in the restaurant. Her restaurant still looked pretty bad from the outside. And the number of people sitting in could be counted with her fingers. At home, Nick was behaving weird. And here, her business was deteriorating day by day. And she didn't even have the money to set it up again.

She looked up when the door creaked. Chrissy entered with a grim face herself. Even the cheerful Chrissy wasn't excited anymore. She suddenly felt like something was wrong with everything in her life. "Hey!" her voice almost a whisper.

"Hi" Chrissy replied with a sad smile.

"Can I guess?" She asked and Chrissy smiled yet nodded. "Your conversation with Mark didn't go that well?" Her guess was absolutely right when she saw that small smile on Chrissy's face vanish completely.

"What happened?" The usual, small question yet had a great meaning and understanding to it. 'What happened?'

"I should've known from the start that he never really was interested. I was the one all over him and he had to agree. One thing led to another... now this!" She pointed towards her belly. Evelyn pushed her chin forward indicating her to continue. "Well...... he straight away ordered me... I quote, 'get that thing aborted. I have no time for a kid or a family.' So...." she stopped and looked down to the floor in deep thinking.

"You're considering abortion?" Evelyn asked. Both had confused eyes. They had to console themselves with the fact that at least they were both accompanied by each other in their pain.

They both then looked outside the glass door, where Oliver stood with all seriousness.
"I wish I'd fallen for him." They both repeated at the same time, then looked at each other and laughed loudly.