Chapter 40: Get together

Evelyn's POV

"Are you ready? Shall we go meet them." Nick asked and I looked at him nervously.
"Come on... it's not first time that you're meeting them." Nick informed his parents about mine and this will be first time I meet them after that.

"First time after they know that I'm their enemy's daughter. And you bloody organized a get together party! Really?"

"If it makes you feel better then you must know that my dad is really cool with it."

"And your mom?"

"Aaah... she's a different case."

"Aww, that makes me feel great!" I said sarcastically. He rolled his eyes and pulled me behind him as he slowly placed my hand on his arm. "I think your mom might murder me." I said in a daze.

"Don't be stupid! She won't do any such thing especially after she gets to know about our baby."

"She still doesn't know?" He shook his head as 'no' and pasted a fake broad smile as he looked ahead at everyone.

I dared to look at his family and received a sharp glare from his mom who smiled at me yet that looked clearly fake. Nick too noticed that as his hold on me tightened.

"Hey bro!" Alex suddenly appeared on my side with a cute and shy girl on his arm. "What a host you are to let me host because you were late!" He said narrowing his eyes.

"Oh, we were late? I'm so sorry Alex."

"Noo.. it's alright. I was just teasing this idiot!" He winked and pointed towards Nick. "You still didn't invite Daniel?" He asked.

"No, I'm letting them move on from the ex-boyfriend trauma." He winked.

"What?" Ex-boyfriend? Daniel's with Caroline... her ex-boyfriend...Edward? What are they talking about? Beside me, I felt Nick stiffen.

"Come on let's finally meet my parents and get it over and done with!" He smiled at Alex and his companion and excused himself.

I looked back at Alex, but his face was devoid of any emotion and his partner's face turned even more grim as we moved away from her. And thankfully that sadness was not caused by us. I didn't even get her name.

"Mother..." Nick 'greeted' and had to let go of my hand when she hugged him almost pushing him onto the floor.

"Are you alright?!" She sounded tense. "I can't believe you stayed at their place, even after you knowing all that they have done."

"They haven't done anything... and...." he took a deep breath. "I've invited them to this party. They might be arriving here now any moment." Nina gasped and held a hand to her mouth. "I've explained everything to father, mother..."

"No...." she said repeatedly shaking her head.

"Mom..." Nick held her and gave me a pleading expression before he left with his dad, both almost carrying her.

Now I was left with a too excited and happy Isabella. Oh, dear lord! Help me!
"Hey." she said smiling brightly.

Okaaay... did she just try to initiate a conversation with me? "Hii..." I said making sure my voice was not quivering with nervousness.

"Soo... how are you? Nick told me, about the baby." She smiled pointing at my belly, a genuine smile.

"Wait... I'm not doing this with you." I said and her smile faltered. Did I hurt her? "Look you don't have to pretend alright? I know you don't like me. So? Is the baby making you pretend like this or? Is it something else? You can tell me. That'll make it easy for us." I said getting straight to the point.