Chapter 1

Max's POV

Suddenly it stopped. The elevator just stopped dead out of nowhere. It was working fine just a few short seconds ago. I sighed and pressed the red 'help' button next to the doors, hoping that help would soon arrive and I could leave to get on with my day. I leaned my back up against the wall and stared up at the ceiling. I moved to press the ' 'help' button two more times just to be sure, then I assumed my previous position and went back to staring at the ceiling.

It seemed like I had been standing there for hours, even though it had only been about five minutes. I looked across the elevator and was reminded that there was another person in the elevator with me. It was a girl who looked a bit younger than me, maybe about ten, with light brown hair and matching brown eyes. She was sitting on the floor in the corner of the elevator with her knees hugged tightly to her chest. She was staring at me with wide eyes and looked absolutely terrified.

I cautiously approached her, not wanting to add to how frightened she was because I was a stranger walking up to her. Once I was close enough, while still keeping some distance, I kneeled down in front of her. She just continued to stare at as if I was capable of making the elevator start to move again. As she looked at me I could see the fear in her eyes and how scared she really was.

"Hey." I said not knowing what else to say. Wow stupid move Max. That's really going to comfort her.

"H-hi." She responded, her voice shaky.

"Are you alright?" I asked. Seriously Max?! She's clearly not alright and you're not helping at all!

She just shook her head as tears started rolling down her cheeks.

"What's wrong?" Finally, you said something useful.

"I'm c-claustrophobic and I hate elevators but I couldn't find the stairs and now we're stuck here and I just want to go home." She told me in just one breath.

I slowly moved to sit next to her because I wanted to at least try to comfort her. After all she's a little girl who's by herself and terrified.

"What's your name?" I asked her.

"Lilly." Was all she said.

"Alright Lilly, don't worry I'm sure we'll be out of here soon. I pressed the 'help' button a few times."

I didn't really know what to do. I didn't actually know if we would get out of there soon. But I wanted to do something to make her feel a bit better and that was just the first thing that came to my mind. I just looked at her and she looked down at the floor. The poor girl was squeezing her knees to her chest so tight that her knuckles were turning white. I had seen claustrophobic people before, even some of my friends were claustrophobic, but I had never seen anyone as severe as she was.

We just sat there for a while because it wasn't like we had anything else to do. I didn't try to talk to her anymore but I could tell that what I had already said didn't help at all. But after about an hour, I felt the elevator begin to move again. Lilly lifted her her head up and at stared at the doors.

Then the elevator stopped again, but this time it wasn't broken. When the doors opened I sprang up from where I was sitting and almost ran out with Lilly on my heels. Once I stopped, she came up to me.

"Thank you." She said.

"Oh, um it was no problem." I said and smiled, get one from her in return.

"I want you to come meet my older sister. I think she's about the same age as you." Lilly told me and before I could respond she grabbed my arm and we were on our way. 

//

Max and Ryleigh will meet in chapter two :)