Chapter 6

Max's POV

I felt the bed jolt when Ryleigh sat up, panicking. I sat up next to her and gave her a look as if to say 'what's wrong?'

"Max you need to hide." She said with her voice shaking.

"Why? What's going on?" I asked, slightly worried.

"Max please. Will you please just go hide in my closet or something?" She pleaded while looking down.

I wrapped my arms around waist and turned her head to look at me. Our foreheads were touching and honestly, I really wanted to kiss her again.

"Ryleigh," I breathed. "You're starting to scare me. Tell me what's going on."

"My mum is home and I've never had a guy over so I don't know how she'll react. What if she gets really pissed and..." She trailed off.

"Ryleigh everything is going to be fine. Trust me." I kissed her forehead.

"But if my mum finds out you're here-" I cut her off.

"I'm not leaving you. End of story. I'm going to stay right here and we can face your mum together. She might not even be mad." I told her.

She nodded.

Then her mum knocked on the door.

"Come in..." Ryleigh said. I had let go of her because I thought it'd be easier that way. So we were just sitting there.

"Hello sweetie and um, who's this?" Her mum asked.

Ryleigh didn't say anything so I introduced myself.

"I'm Max, Ryleigh's friend." I said.

Her mum leaned over and whispered to her quite loudly, "He's seems like a good one."

Ryleigh blushed but I couldn't tell if it was from embarrassment or because she likes me.

"Well Max, I'm Ryleigh's mum but you can call me Linda." She smiled at me and I smiled back and nodded. Well she doesn't seem to be mad that I'm here.

"I don't mean to be rude, but I need to talk to Ryleigh privately, so could you step out into the hallway quickly?" She asked me.

"No mum, it's fine. He can stay." Ryleigh chimed in.

"Are you sure, hunny?" Her mum asked her.

"Yeah. He's my best friend." She said and smiled at me.

"Alright." Linda sat on the bed and held both of her daughter's hands.

"Ryleigh, there's something you really need to know. Your father was killed outside of the military base he was stationed on."

Ryleigh didn't have any expression on her face. She probably didn't know what to feel.

"When." Is all she said. She didn't even ask it. It's like she was demanding to know.

"About a month ago..." Her mom sad slowly.

Ryleigh stood up from the bed.

"And you didn't think to tell me?! My dad has been dead for a month and you haven't told me until now?!" She yelled. I've never heard her yell. She must be really angry, which is understandable.

"Sweetie, I tried. It was really difficult for me to do. That's why I didn't want you to call him. Because he wasn't going to answer you anyways." Linda trailed off. "There's something else too."

"Oh great." Ryleigh said sarcastically. "What is it?"

"My boss wants us to move."

"To where?!" Ryleigh was back to yelling.

"Florida..."

"Mum that's like four thousand miles away! I'm not going!"

"Ryleigh if I want to keep my job then we have to do this!" Her mum was starting to yell now. I just sat there awkwardly while they stood in the middle of the room arguing.

"Let me live with aunt Lisa and Lilly." Ryleigh said a bit quieter.

"No! I'm not losing my other daughter to my sister!" Linda yelled.

"Mum you can't make me move that far away! I don't want to switch schools! I want to be close to Lilly and I want to stay with Max!" She looked down as soon as she realized what she said. I couldn't help but smile a bit.

"Is this really what would make you happy?" Linda asked her.

She nodded.

"Alright. I'm sure Lisa would be more than happy for you to live with her and Lilly. And Max," she turned to me. "please take care of her."

"Of course." I smiled and Ryleigh smiled at me.

"Well, I'll call Lisa. You two, start packing I guess." Linda said and walked out. 

//

[711 words]

AN: This chapter was pretty short and nothing super important to the story happens but...Ryleigh is moving in with her aunt and something is gonna happen