Chapter 34

Max's POV

I woke up to a loud noise. I didn't think much of it. I checked my phone and it read 2:07am.

I'm pretty sure Ryleigh heard the noise too because her eyes were open and, from what I could see because it was dark, she looked terrified.

I wrapped my arms around her protectively.

"M-max, w-what was that?" She stuttered.

"I don't know Ry. But relax, I'm right here." I said, trying to calm her down.

We heard another noise. I just assumed it was something outside that had nothing to do with our house. I was tired and wanted to go back to sleep. Ryleigh was shaking with fear so I pulled her closer to me.

"I'm gonna go see what it is, okay?" I told her.

"Please don't. What if it's dangerous?"

"I'll be alright."

"I'm g-going with you." She said.

"No you're not. If someone's down there, I want you to be safe."

"Max..."

"Baby I'll be okay. I promise." I kissed her forehead and slowly walked out of my room.

I quietly made my way down the stairs into the kitchen. There was nothing there. Then I checked the living room. Still nothing. I went into the sunroom and saw a figure over by Harvey's drum kit.

"Hello?" I asked.

They whipped around. From the light that was coming in, I could see who it was.

"Harvey?! What the hell?!" I whisper yelled.

"I forgot my phone and I needed it. So I came to look for it. I may have ran into a few things." He said innocently.

"You're an idiot."

He shrugged.

"Ryleigh's upstairs, terrified, because you couldn't last one night without your phone!" I raised my voice a bit.

"Sorry..." He mumbled. "But could you help me find my phone?"

I hit him on the back of the head.

"Please?" He asked.

"If it'll make you leave."

We looked around the sunroom and eventually found his phone. It was pretty easy once I turned the light on. Harvey really is an idiot.

"Thanks Max. I'll be at Ela's." Harvey said and left.

I rolled my eyes. I locked the door behind him and made my way back upstairs.

I opened my bedroom door and Ryleigh was curled up in a ball, rocking back and forth a bit. She flinched when the door opened.

"I'm back." I said and sat next to her.

"W-what was it?" She asked, still shaking.

I pulled her onto my lap and held her tightly.

"My idiotic twin." I said through gritted teeth.

"Harvey?" She asked.

"What other twin do I have?!" I snapped.

"Sorry..." She mumbled and looked down.

"No, I'm sorry. I'm just tired and pissed at Harvey. You didn't do anything wrong."

"Why was he here?" She asked.