Chapter 5

Ryleigh's POV

When I woke up I was still wrapped in Max's arms. I'm not going to lie, I liked it. I felt safe, like nothing could hurt me. Oh god. I'm starting to like him more. I've never really liked a guy before so all of this is new to me.

As much as I was enjoying laying there, it was about time I got up.

"Max." I whispered while nudging him.

He stirred a bit, but didn't wake up.

"Maxxxxxx." I nudged him a little harder.

"What?" He groaned. Alright, someone's not a morning person.

"Let me get up." I said trying to hold in my laugh.

"No." Was all he said. He didn't even open his eyes.

"Max." I said a bit more sternly.

"I hope you know that you're not threatening at all." He said.

"Well I hope YOU know that even though I'm short, I can still kick your butt." I said, finally letting my laugh out.

"How about you don't kick my butt and just cuddle with me? Please?" He asked, actually opening his eyes. Wow, this boy has a really cute puppy face.

"Sure." I said giggling.

"Cuddling doesn't require talking." He said and put his hand over my mouth. Obviously, I licked his hand, because what else would I do in that situation?

"Ew." Was all he said in response and he moved his hand.

After a little while longer I was pretty sure Max fell asleep. His grip finally loosened and I was able to get up. I wiggled out of his grip and kissed his forehead because he looked really cute and I couldn't help myself. Then I went downstairs into the kitchen.

"Good morning, Ryleigh." Sara said.

"Good morning." I said and leaned my elbows on the counter.

A few minutes later I felt two arms wrap around my waist. I knew it was Max. Why is he acting like we're a couple? We're not. We met yesterday. But I mean we have gotten really close. There's just something about him.

He kissed my cheek and then rested his head on my shoulder.

Just then, Harvey walked into the kitchen. I guess he's back from his friend's house.

"Hey mum. Hey...lovebirds?" He said more like a question.

"We're not dating." Max told him.

Harvey just rolled his eyes and went upstairs.

•a few days later•

I've been hanging out a Max's house a lot in the past few days. I haven't really gone home except to shower, change clothes, and sleep because I would've felt bad sleeping over every night.

But later today, my mum is coming home and I need to make sure the house looks nice for her. She hasn't been home in about two weeks.

"Well I think I should get home. I need to clean up the house a bit because my mum is coming home this afternoon." I said to Max.

"Can I come with you?" He asked. Why is this boy so attached to me?

I nodded my head, grabbed my phone, and we walked out of the house.

As we were walking, our hands kept brushing up against each other. As weird as it sounds, I really wanted to hold his hand. It's like he read my mind because he slowly grabbed my hand and intertwined our fingers.

After a few more minutes, we got to my house and walked inside.

"So we're cleaning?" He asked.

"Yup." I said, popping the 'p'.

We cleaned for about an hour and then decided to go up my room.

We sat on my bed awkwardly for a few minutes before I spoke.

"Max, can I talk to you?" I asked him.

"Sure." He said, sounding happy and directing his attention towards me rather than my floor that he was staring at.

"Why are acting so 'coupley' with me?"

"What do you mean?" He asked rubbing the back of his neck. I don't know much about guys but I'm pretty sure they do that when they're nervous.

"Like kissing my cheek, wanting to cuddle with me, always wrapping your arms around my waist..." I trailed off a bit.

He looked down at his hands and was playing with his fingers.

"Max..." I put my hand on his shoulder, which made him look up at me.

The next thing I knew, he started leaning in. I didn't know what else to do so I leaned in too. Our faces were a couple inches apart when I panicked. I jerked my head away from him. I've never even LIKED a guy before, let alone kiss one.

Max looked kind of hurt, which made me feel bad.

"I'm sorry..." I said, not really knowing what else to say.

"It's fine. I should've known you didn't feel the same way." He sighed.

"No Max. It's not that. I definitely feel the same way." I told him.

He looked at me confused. He was probably thinking 'well then why the hell did you pull away?'

"I've never kissed anyone before...so I panicked. I'm sorry." I apologized again.

His face brightened a bit and he moved closer to me.

"So if I kiss you right now, I'll be your first kiss?" He asked, smirking.

I nodded.

He started to lean in again and so did I.

'Come on Ryleigh. You can do this.' I gave myself a mental pep talk.

Suddenly Max stopped about an inch from my lips.

"It'll be easy, I promise." He whispered. Then he connected his lips with mine. You know that feeling of 'sparks' that people talk about? Well I definitely felt it.

We pulled away after a few seconds and just looked at each other.

"Look Ryleigh. I know I only met you a few days ago, but so much has happened and I feel like I've known you my whole life. You can say no to this because I can tell that you're a bit scared. But I really, really like you and I was wondering if you would be my girlfriend?"

Did he just ask me out? He just asked me out. Wait, me? As in Ryleigh Holt? I guess he did because he was looking at me expectantly and smiling.

"Max, I-I'm sorry. But like you said, we only met a few days ago. I'm just not ready to date you yet." Really Ryleigh?! You just turned him down! He just confessed his feelings for you and you turned him down.

I watched as the smile faded from his face. He looked hurt again. And it was my fault again.

"I'm sorry." I apologized again.

He looked down.

"It's fine." He sighed.

"Max..."

"Ryleigh, really it's fine. You said not yet. That means I still I have a chance in the future." He said and gave me a weak smile. I smiled back.

I didn't know what else to do, so I tackled him in a hug onto my bed. We stayed like that for a while, just laying there and hugging each other, before I tried to move away.

"Not happening." He mumbled. I sighed.

We just laid there on my bed for a while. We weren't even talking. We were just enjoying each other's company. But then I heard the front door open.

'Oh no. My mum's home.' I thought. 

//

[1210 words]

AN: I was gonna update later but my friend made me do it now😂 Also just a warning: sorry in advance if there ends up being swear words and you don't like them