Chapter 39

Ryleigh's POV

So obviously, I can't be in the musical. The singing and the loud music and the bright stage lights would all just make my head hurt too much. Because of how loud it'll be, I was told to not even go. I was told by Max of course. I still haven't agreed to it though. But he's still trying.

"Ry..." He whispered as we stood in my room. He was trying to convince me that going to the show was a bad idea.

"You can't tell me what I can and can't do Max."

"I know. I just wanna protect you." He said and stroked my cheek with his thumb.

"I know you do. But I wanna see you perform."

"About that...I've been thinking..."

"About what?" I asked.

"Maybe I'll drop out of the musical." He shrugged.

"I couldn't ask you to do that Max."

"You're not asking me to. It's my decision. Then Friday night, you and I can stay home and I'll take care of you."

I shook my head.

All of a sudden I started getting really dizzy. That's been happening for the past two days since I got the concussion whenever I stand up for too long.

I started losing my balance when I felt Max's arms around my waist.

"Thanks." I mumbled.

"Mhm." He kissed my forehead.

"You can let go. I'll be fine."

"I doubt that. And either way, I don't wanna let go."

I rolled my eyes and pushed his chest.

"What's your deal?" He asked.

I shrugged.

"Well I know it's something." He said.

I looked down.

"Ry," he lifted my chin. "What's wrong?"

I didn't answer.

"Ryleigh you can tell me and no one else has to know."

I still didn't say anything.

"Do you trust me?" He asked.

"You know the answer to that." I muttered.

He sighed and kissed my cheek.

"I know. I just want to know what's wrong so I can help."

"You can't really help."

"If you tell me, I can try." He said.

It was silent for a few minutes.

"Ryleigh."

"What?" I was getting a bit annoyed.

"I just wanna help you."

"Alright fine! You wanna know what's wrong? I'm scared, okay! I'm honestly terrified!" Yelling made my head start to hurt. I put my hand up to my head.

Max sat on the bed and pulled me onto his lap so I was facing him. He leaned his forehead against mine.

"What are you scared of?" He asked.

"You know I love you right?"

"Of course. But what does that have to do with it?"

"The fact that I love you scares me. I loved my dad and he's dead. I loved Lisa and she's dead. I love my mum and Lilly and they're four thousand miles away!" I was crying at this point.