Chapter 42

Ryleigh's POV

When Max had asked me if I was alright, I said yes just so he wouldn't worry. But I'm not okay. Do all of your emotions ever just flood in at once? Because that's what's happening. Everything that's happened just hit me.

I started zoning out as we walked to the lake. I was snapped out of my thoughts by Max waving his hand in front of my face.

"Huh?" I said confused.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"Y-yeah. I'm fine." I said while popping my knuckles. That's what I do when I'm nervous but hopefully he hasn't caught onto it.

"And you expect me to believe that?"

"What do you mean?"

"Ryleigh I'm not stupid. I know something's wrong." He said.

"Nothing's wrong. I'm perfectly fine."

He stopped walking and stood facing me with his hands on my waist.

"Ryleigh." He said softly. "I know you're not okay."

I tried to push him off but he tightened his grip.

"Max let go."

"No."

"Max." I started getting annoyed.

"Ryleigh." He said while staying calm. "Please."

"I'm fine. Now will you please let go?"

"Ryleigh I know you. And I know that you aren't okay."

"Stop Max."

He didn't say anything else. He just engulfed me in a huge hug. I gave in and hugged back because, honestly I needed it. I let a few tears slip out and when we pulled away I tried to wipe them away as fast as I could but it was too late.

"Ryleigh." He sighed and gently brushed a few tears away. "Let's just go back home."

I nodded and we walked towards his house. Luckily we hadn't gotten very far.

We went upstairs to change out of our bathing suits. But before I finished, there was a knock on my bedroom door.

"Hold on." I said to whoever was there.

"It's just me. Can I come in?" They asked. It was Max.

"Not yet."

"Do you have clothes on?" He asked.

"Can you just wait a second?"

I guess he gave up because it was quiet.

Since he was being extremely impatient, I opened the door once I had leggings and a sports bra on. I figured why not because it was only Max.

When I opened the door he was standing there with a dorky smile on his face and a hoodie in his hands.

"Can I come in?" He asked as he handed me the hoodie.

I nodded and slipped the sweatshirt over my head. It was too big for me but it was warm and it smelled like Max.

He closed the door behind him and walked up to me. He rested his hands on my waist and leaned our foreheads together.

"Why won't you tell me what's wrong? I just wanna help you." He whispered.

"You wouldn't understand it."

"I wanna make you happy."

"You do." I said.

"But right now you don't seem very happy. Did I do something?"