Chapter 37

Ryleigh's POV

After dinner, Max and I went back up to my room and flopped onto my bed.

"What do you wanna do?" I asked him.

"Doesn't matter."

I sighed and moved closer to him. He looked at me and chuckled a bit.

"What?" I asked confused.

He gently touched the hickey on my neck.

"Oh." I looked down, a bit embarrassed.

"Ry, you don't have to be embarrassed about it."

"But I don't like the fact that it's there."

"You should've stopped me." He said.

"You shouldn't have done it."

He rolled his eyes.

"Come here." He said and I laid my head on his chest.

We ended up talking for a while about anything and everything. We somehow got on the topic of marriage.

"It's kinda scary to me." I said.

"Why?" He asked.

"You promise to love and take care of that person forever. But one day, the person you said that to could decide that...that they don't love you anymore..."

"Well, as of right now, I plan on marrying you and I'd never stop loving you."

"But Max, that's not something you can promise. You can't promise me that you're feelings won't change in the future. You don't even know if we'll actually marry each other." I said.

He sighed.

"I know Ry. But there's something I can promise. That no matter what happens between us, whether we stay together or if we break up, you'll always be my best friend." He kissed my forehead.

"What time is it?" I yawned.

"Almost 10:30."

"I'm sleepy." I whined.

"Alright, I'll see you in the morning." He said and got up.

I sat straight up.

"Wait what?" I asked.

"I'm going to bed."

"You're not staying?"

"Did you want me to?" He asked.

"It's fine. You can go if you want."

"I can stay if you want."

"It's alright." I said.

He kissed me quickly and walked out.

I drifted off to sleep.

I was jolted awake by a really loud clap of thunder that shook the house. Oh god. Not a storm.

I wanted to get to Max but I was frozen. A few minutes later, I felt arms wrap around my waist.

"I'm here Ry." Max said and kissed my cheek. I turned to face him and buried my face in his chest.

"You're okay baby. I'm right here." He whispered. He rubbed small circles on my back because that always seems to calm me down.

"Remember the first time this happened?" He asked.

"Yeah." I mumbled. "I can't believe I did that."

"Did what?"

"I asked to sleep with you that day when we barely knew each other."