Chapter 19

Max's POV

I almost lost Ryleigh because I let my jealousy get in the way. I'm so stupid sometimes.

We walked back out to everyone else and Mum announced that it was time to eat.

Ryleigh tried to go into the dining room but I held her back.

"What?" She asked.

"I don't know. You're just really cute."

She rolled her eyes and dragged me along.

By the time we got to the dining room there were two seats left, one for each of us, but they weren't next to each other. One was between Tilly and Harvey and the other was between Cole and Dad.

I sat between Cole and Dad and she sat in the other seat, obviously. I gave her a look to say 'I'm sorry' because I'm the one that held us back. At least the seats were across from each other.

Throughout dinner I kept making weird faces at her causing her to laugh. One face I made really set her off and I don't even know why. She sat there holding her stomach and no sound was even coming out. Everyone looked at her like she was insane. She pointed at me and I explained when she was laughing hysterically.

After dinner we all went into the living room and everyone just talked for a while. There really were a lot of people here and I could tell Ryleigh was still a bit uncomfortable because she barely knew any of them.

She had gone to the bathroom when a girl named Veronica, who was the daughter of my mum's friend, sat next to me. She smiled at me and twirled her hair around her finger. She always tries to flirt with me but I've never been interested.

"Hey Maxie." She said.

"Hey Veronica." I rolled my eyes.

"Why don't you and I go somewhere else?" She asked and smirked.

"Uh, no thanks."

"Oh come on." She said and then sat on my lap. I pushed her off.

"Maxieee." She whined.

"Please don't call me that."

"You know you like it."

"Not when you say it." I said.

"Fine, but it's really obvious that you're in love with me." She kept twirling her hair. Can't this girl take a hint?

"Veronica, you seem nice and all, but I'm just not interested."

She tried to sit on my lap again but the next thing I knew, she was on the floor with Ryleigh pinning her down. Damn it Ryleigh.

I got up and pulled Ryleigh off of her. I had to hold her back because he was still trying to kill Veronica. But eventually she calmed down.

"It's okay, Ry." I whispered.

Veronica got up and slapped her. I pulled her out into the backyard.

"Ryleigh, what the hell was that?" I asked.

"I had been standing there for a few minutes listening and she wouldn't accept the fact that you don't like her, so I...I don't know..." She trailed off.

"Ry, I appreciate your concern, but I could've handled it."

She nodded.

"I know. I'm sorry." She looked down.

"Look at me." I said.

She didn't move.

"Ryleigh..." Still nothing.

I gently lifted her chin with my finger so she was forced to look at me.

"I'm not mad, okay?" I asked.

She nodded and I smiled. I lightly pressed my lips against her's.

It was getting more intense than I intended it to. Her back was pushed up against the wall. I'm not even sure how that happened.

I pulled away and smiled at her. She smiled back.

We stayed outside for a while laying in the grass, looking at the stars.

Ryleigh shivered. It was pretty cold. Okay, very cold.

"We should go back inside." I said.

She shook her head.

"Ryleigh, you're gonna get sick again." Last time she was sick, I miraculously didn't catch it but I didn't want to risk it again.

"I don't care."

"You're freezing."

She shrugged and snuggled into my side.

"You're pretty warm, so I'll be fine." She said.

I sighed and gave in. I wrapped my arms around her.

I felt her start drawing little shapes and designs on my chest with her finger.

"What are you doing?" I asked, making her flinch.

She shrugged.

"Did I scare you?" I laughed.

"A little."

"Let's go inside. I think everyone except for your family is gone."

We got up and headed inside.

"Weren't you freezing out there?" Mum asked us.

I shrugged.

"Can Ryleigh stay the night?" I asked my parents and Lisa.

"If it's okay with Lisa then it's okay with me and your father." Mum said and dad nodded.

I turned to Lisa. She nodded too.

"But behave." She pointed at us.

"Well then Ryleigh, we'd love to have you." Mum smiled.

Lisa and Lilly left. So then it was just my family and Ryleigh watching Christmas movies in the living room.

Ryleigh was curled up in a little ball next to me.

"You alright?" I asked.

She nodded but shivered a bit. I swear this girl is always cold.

I pulled her onto my lap and she laid her head on my chest. I honestly could ask for a better way to spend Christmas Eve.

By almost midnight, I felt her breathing even out as she fell asleep. I played with her hair a bit before dad brought me out of my daze.

"You should take her upstairs." He said.

I nodded and went up to the guest room. I laid her down and then got in next to her, pulling her into me. I saw the clock turn 12:00.

"Merry Christmas Ry." I whispered and then fell asleep. 

//

[932 words]

AN: shoutout to ela for giving me the name veronica